From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:42:11
1 On 07/25/2013 09:52 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > hasufell schrieb:
3 >> I think according to our philsophy and social contract we should
4 >> make people aware of free software and because of that also change
5 >> the default to:
6 >>
7 >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
8 >
9 > The problem with this approach is that while the license might qualify
10 > as "free", the software itself might not. This was already pointed out
11 > by someone else in this thread. So we would block some but not all
12 > non-free software. Software that is under non-copyleft free license
13 > (BSD, MIT, X11, Apache-2.0, ...) could still be distributed as
14 > sourceless binaries.
15 >
16 > Also this would affect the kernel sources when deblobbing is disabled.
17 >
18 > I am not against this move, but this will require a lot of effort in
19 > educating users about the consequences.
23 I don't see the problem. BSD, MIT, Apache-2.0 are all GPL-Compatible and
24 not even a pure GNU system bans them.
25
26 Such details can be explained in an informative section in the handbook
27 or the wiki which was already suggested before.