From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: arches.desc & GLEP 72 (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14)
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 15:48:23
1 On 2017.05.06 15:34, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 29. April 2017, 19:00:34 CEST schrieb Anthony G. Basile:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > The Gentoo Council will be meeting in two weeks. If anyone has any
6 > > issues we need to discuss, please let me know and I'll put it on the
7 > > agenda. Thanks.
8 >
9 > I've converted the arches.desc proposal into a GLEP, taking (some of)
10 > the
11 > mailing list comments into account.
12 >
13 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:72
14 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Dilfridge/GLEP:72
15 >
16 > (the texts are identical at the moment, but if there are additional
17 > comments I
18 > can more easily adapt the version in my user space).
19 >
20 > I would like the council to talk about it and potentially give it a
21 > go-ahead.
22 >
23 > An implementation is still missing though.
24 >
25 > Cheers,
26 > Andreas
27 >
28 > --
29 > Andreas K. Hüttel
30 > dilfridge@g.o
31 > Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)
35 Andreas,
36
37 First off I like the intent. I think it will be useful, especially for arm64
38 which interests me.
39
40 I don't like the reuse of terms like stable, testing, and so on but
41 I'm not first to point that out.
42 It appears that the purpose of arches.desc is to ease the pain
43 of transitions between ARCH, ~ARCH and even wilder states.
44 Names describing these transitions may things clearer to human
45 readers.
46
47 I can see downsides to that too because trasitions will be in both
48 directions. e.g. arm64 is heading toward stable from the unknown,
49 and x86 will soon be going in the other direction.
50
51 A few nits.
52 Initial value in the gentoo repository,
53 On introduction, the setting will be "stable" for all stable architectures, "testing" for all architectures where "inofficial"
54 "inofficial" -> "unofficial"
55
56 Meaning of the values for repoman
57 ...
58 This is the current behaviour and shall be the default if nothing is specified for an architecture.
59 This is the current behaviour and shall be the default if nothing is specified in arches.desc for an architecture.
63 Regards,
64
65 Roy Bamford
66 (Neddyseagoon) a member of