From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Social Contract, Council: please fix the mess you cause
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:11:57
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 El 26/03/18 a las 23:51, Michał Górny escribió:
4 > W dniu nie, 25.03.2018 o godzinie 21∶36 -0400, użytkownik Rich Freeman
5 > napisał:
6 >> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
7 >> (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
8 >>> "Comments by selected people are welcome. "
9 >> And this would be why I've maintained that having non-overlapping
10 >> Council/Trustees is a problem waiting to happen. We have two
11 >> governing bodies that disagree and continue to escalate things, in
12 >> part because we don't allow an overlap in membership and there are
13 >> only so many people interested in either job to go around.
14 >>
15 >> My prediction is that everybody will continue to get indignant leading
16 >> up to the next Council election, then the developers will vote to
17 >> maintain the status quo, and then at the next Trustee election there
18 >> will be at most 0-2 extra nominees above the number of open slots, who
19 >> will probably be motivated mostly out of disagreement with the
20 >> Council, and then we'll get to watch the infighting for another year.
21 >>
22 > The infighting won't die unless one or more of the following happens:
23 >
24 > 1. Trustees understand that Council is not about wielding absolute power
25 > but merely listening to developers. And developers are somewhat more
26 > people than the ~5 devs who repeatedly abuse the mailing lists in their
27 > protests, in order to force their will.
28 >
29 > 2. Trustees fix the past legal mess and find a reasonable way to protect
30 > future Trustees from the screwups of previous boards, making it possible
31 > for more people to be interested in Trustee positions, and effectively
32 > reducing the problem of power-hungry, incompetent candidates.
33 >
34 > 3. We disband the Foundation and lose all the assets but gain
35 > the ability to freely developer the distro without people who first
36 > generously offer their services to Gentoo, and then start demanding
37 > absolute power in the return.
40 Please don't derail the topic. If you want to discuss the Board of
41 Trustees and Foundation problems you are more than welcome to open a
42 different thread, either on gentoo-project or maybe on gentoo-nfp (which
43 may have less reach but be more appropriate).
44
45 I opened this thread to discuss proposals to fix the fact that with the
46 permission change of the gentoo-dev mailing list ordered by the council,
47 the majority of the stakeholders of the Gentoo Social Contract (anybody
48 other than Gentoo developers and those vouched by them) can't neither
49 propose nor discuss changes to said contract through the official
50 channels. If you have any input in that regard, I'll be more than happy
51 to read it.
52
53 Klondike