From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New research: Gentoo Portage Package Dependencies
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 18:06:56
1 On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@g.o> wrote:
2 > Recently I found that there's a new research on Gentoo, specifically
3 > for Portage and package dependencies[1].
4
5 Thanks for pointing this out! Anybody know anything about their first
6 reference, also from 2014? As far as I can tell it hasn't been
7 published yet but I figured I'd ask here before I go bugging the
8 authors.
9
10 Interesting that they picked Gentoo. It might just be from
11 familiarity, but a reason to use Gentoo is that the dependency info
12 for a package is separated from the actual distfiles/etc. Many other
13 package formats combine these, though perhaps this data is cached
14 somewhere in a format that could be used historically. If they had
15 multiple GB of ebuild files I'd hate to think about what that would
16 look like as .debs.
17
18 Rich