From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: prometheanfire@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 04:55:17
1 On 10/04/2016 12:32 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > Just had a thought related to this that should probably be talked about.
3 >
4 > Why doesn't wilikins log all chat and post it online? I'll probably be
5 > stating this a few times, but openstack does it and it works. It may
6 > also help for 'evidence' gathering, at least for public channels. It
7 > was suggested that #gentoo-chat shouldn't be logged because of stupid
8 > stuff that goes on there, but I'd rather it be cleaned up than not
9 > logged personally.
12 While I see a benefit to the proposal, I'm not sure that it addresses
13 the problem. In my recent experiences, when there is an issue publicly,
14 there are usually enough corroborating witnesses. Doesn't help with
15 PMs, which are pervasive. There are certain situations, where I agree
16 we could benefit from logging, IMO, it is far from a comprehensive
17 solution. If we did have a system for public logging, it'd be worth
18 considering the merits of opt-in vs opt-out vs mandatory logging as well
19 as whether the logs should be search engine indexable.
22 NP-Hardass