From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 19:40:19
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 2:45 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, October 3, 2016 2:04:42 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
5 >>
6 >> > That has been part of my problem. I disagree with such questions, the
7 >> > answers, so can get hung up on those questions on the quiz. Why one
8 >> > review took 2 hours and did not max it past the 10th question on the 1st
9 >> > of 3 quizzes.
10 >> Your agreement with the question isn't really the concern. Your
11 >> understanding of the correct answer, and willingness to comply with it
12 >> is.
13 >
14 > I disagree with the correct answers.
15
16 As I said, your agreement isn't the concern. Compliance is the
17 concern, and if there is a difference of opinion on that part then it
18 is MUCH easier to deal with before making somebody a dev than after.
21 >> There are Gentoo policies I personally disagree with. I still comply
22 >> with these policies. If I didn't comply with policy I'd expect to be
23 >> called out on it. If policies are bad they can be changed, and I have
24 >> more of a say in that than most, but it isn't like I can just make the
25 >> policies anything I want them to be.
26 >
27 > If I can change code from the outside. Then I can change/effect policies just
28 > the same, no? Must I be a developer to change Gentoo policies?
29
30 Obviously not. You're making an appeal for change now. Ultimately it
31 is up to the community to decide whether policy ought to change. You
32 don't formally get a vote in that now, but influence matters more than
33 votes anyway, IMO.
36 >> If the mentor didn't think you would work out, you wouldn't even be
37 >> talking to the recruiters.
38 >
39 > Then why does comrel require to see things from a contributor the mentor has
40 > already?
41 >
42 > Its basically says, yes your are the mentoring developer, but we do not trust
43 > you that this person is ready to be a developer. So we will put our own
44 > requirements onto this person. Who despite you working with them, and your
45 > awareness of their recent actions. Since we/comrel are not aware of this
46 > persons contributions, because we have not done any research. Nor do we trust
47 > the mentor that this person is ready to become a developer.
48
49 Ultimately making somebody a developer is a fairly important decision.
50 You can call it distrust if you wish, but it is the sort of thing that
51 requires rigor.
52
53 This is no different than the opposite situation. If a random
54 developer decides that you aren't worth keeping around, can they just
55 ask infra to revoke your access and give them their word that they're
56 sure it is the right thing to do?
57
58 This is why we have a process. If there was a past Comrel action
59 against you then you're subject to more process than a vanilla
60 recruit. However, your history probably benefits you on the technical
61 side.
64 >> It wasn't any different when I joined Gentoo. I had two mentors and a
65 >> recruiter, and while the process with the recruiter was somewhat
66 >> redundant, it wasn't particularly onerous.
67 >
68 > Things were very different when I joined in 2006. If they had been how they
69 > have since 2006, I doubt I would have ever become a developer. I have seen the
70 > process become much worse since 2006. The fact that there has been no Java
71 > team since ~2008-2010 is evidence of such.
72
73 I can't imagine things were all that different in 2006 than in 2007
74 when I became a developer. I was using Gentoo long before this time
75 and at least somewhat involved in the community, though I didn't get
76 involved in the politics of that day other than as an arch tester.
77 (And nobody gets upset with arch testers if the packages work, we
78 could use more of them today...)
81 > Could that not be said about comrel? Comrel likely has much less awareness of
82 > any given recruit than mentors. Comrel is not working them as a mentor would.
83 > In my experience Comrel has NEVER had any knowledge or awareness of my
84 > contributions.
87 Well, both the mentor and Comrel have different perspectives. And
88 ultimately Comrel doesn't even have the final say since you can appeal
89 to Council. No HR-like process will ever be perfect, but there is a
90 reason we're all on our best behavior during job interviews.
93 > In reality Gentoo could have much worse problems by not being straight with
94 > the IRS. If that was ever the case, and if someone say me could have corrected
95 > that. Then comrel/devrel could be directly responsible for some major legal
96 > issues regarding Gentoo.
99 The Foundation is actually fairly independent from Comrel. I actually
100 think it should be less so (not that they should be subject to Comrel
101 but rather that the Foundation membership should be the same as the
102 distro dev membership). However, the reality today is that the
103 Trustees can retain anybody they wish to assist with taxes/etc. They
104 don't need an @gentoo.org address to contribute. Indeed, they have a
105 need to retain professional services sometime which are clearly
106 outside the community.
109 Rich