From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Foundation oversee top level projects 1.1
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 00:57:54
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:01:43 -0600
4 > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On 01/11/2017 01:40 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > >> Possible Solution:
8 > > >>
9 > > >> Voting body:
10 > > >>
11 > > >> In order to solve this Gentoo needs to have a combined electorate,
12 > > >> meaning those that would vote for Council would also vote for Trustees
13 > > >> and visa-versa. This would ensure that everyone’s needs are
14 > represented.
15 > > >>
16 > > >> The combined voting body would be able to opt out of voting, however,
17 > > >> opting out of voting means opting out of voting globally. The
18 > reasoning
19 > > >> behind this is so that you can’t opt out of voting for one body but
20 > not
21 > > >> the other, as doing so would cause a split in the voting pool.
22 > > >
23 > > > This doesn't answer the most important question of all: who the voting
24 > > > body will be? I doubt people care about being able to opt-out of
25 > > > voting. They do care, however, for being unable to vote for some
26 > > > legal or otherwise external reasons.
27 > > >
28 > >
29 > > The voting body would be active developers, meaning those that passed
30 > > what used to be the staff quiz. Commit access or not.
31 >
32 > That sounds good to me but you'd have to get agreement on Foundation
33 > end (since you're cutting their votes) and change Bylaws. But certainly
34 > a direction worth considering.
35 >
36 > > > So, this whole thing looks really bad to me. It looks to be based on
37 > > > some (accidental or intentional) misunderstanding what Council is,
38 > > > combined with some degree of conflict of roles in Board (Trustees).
39 > > >
40 > >
41 > > I see council as it is now as an overreach of what it was intended to
42 > > be, or even should be.
43 >
44 > Are you considering evolution a problem? Things like that usually
45 > happen for a reason. I don't see a reason to cut things down back to
46 > where they were unless you have a good reason for that.
47 >
48 > > > As I said previously, the defining attributes of Trustees would be
49 > > > knowledge of the law and related affairs. Why does that suddenly imply
50 > > > that Trustees are required to be capable of handling project
51 > > > leadership?
52 > >
53 > > I believe I did state that the trustees would still be limited to
54 > > Legal/proj running, but this gives them the 'official' ability to reach
55 > > down and change things if needed. As it is now, officially, we'd have
56 > > to ask council for a change dealing with a legal issue if it started
57 > > because of something technical.
58 >
59 > Not really. As pointed out already, Trustees have absolute power.
60 > As long as they don't abuse it, I don't see a problem with Trustees
61 > reaching down below whenever they find it necessary for legal reasons.
62 > And I'm pretty sure Council wouldn't mind that either.
63 >
64 > > > Why do you insist on giving additional power to people who have
65 > > > already have a well-defined purpose? Why are you forcing us to be lead
66 > > > by people who offer to do legal stuff, instead of the people we trust
67 > > > to lead Gentoo?
68 > >
69 > > I don't like the false dichotomy you offer. I personally don't see this
70 > > as an overreach of power, or even a granting of power that was not
71 > > already there. All this does is document things as they already are,
72 > > from a more legal sense.
73 >
74 > No, that's not correct. You are removing the Council from between
75 > Comrel, PR and Infra.
76 >
77 > For Comrel, this means that the Council is no longer the appeal body
78 > for Comrel decisions. For Infra, this somehow makes me think Infra will
79 > no longer follow the 'directions' set by Council, and instead -- for
80 > some reason -- jump straight to the Board. For PR, I'm not even sure
81 > what this causes.
82 >
83 > What I see here, is that Board suddenly gets a few more
84 > responsibilities. Now, what happens if the Board makes a decision that
85 > violates the CoC or the law? Do we appeal the decision to the Board
86 > itself? Or do we have to sue Gentoo Foundation?
89 The foundation today consists of two bodies.
90
91 1) The members.
92 2) The board of trustees.
93
94 The board is elected by the members to run the foundation.
95
96 I don't want to talk about the law specifically (because I am a layperson
97 and the law is complex.)
98 Lets talk about the board making a decision against the best interests of
99 Gentoo. This is possibly against the bylaws of the foundation; but really
100 any action that upsets the members could result in this chain of events.
101
102 The board is accountable to the members.
103
104 To quote the bylaws, article V section 5.6
105
106 A director may resign at any time upon written request to the foundation.
107 Furthermore, any director or the entire Board of Trustees may be removed,
108 with or without cause, by a vote of the majority of the members entitled to
109 vote for the election of Trustees or as otherwise provided in the General
110 Foundation Law of the State of New Mexico."
111
112 Note that the bylaws state you don't even need cause! You just need to
113 convince the members to vote :)
114
115 The process probably looks like this:
116
117 1) Write down what you do not like.
118 2) Hold a meeting of members
119 2a) In order for the members to meet you must:
120 2b) Convince 10% of members to request a "Special Meeting" (Article III
121 section 3.3) in writing (I suspect you could get away with email here.)
122 2c) Announce the meeting 10 days in advance (Article III section 3.4)
123 2d) Convince at least 1/3rd of the voting membership to show up (to reach a
124 quorum of members at said special meeting.)
125 2e) The Special meeting would occur; you would propose a vote to remove
126 trustees (one or all). If you have a majority of members at the special
127 meeting, you can vote there. If you don't, you can propose the vote be
128 electronic and pronounce a schedule. Its a special meeting and a special
129 vote, so parameters have some leeway in terms of scheduling.
130 2f) Convince at least "a majority of the members entitled to vote" to
131 approve the removal of the tainted trustees.
132 3) Now you have removed 1 or more trustees. Congrats!
133 4) You need to elect new trustees now though.
134
135 The bylaws are a bit unclear on when all trustees are fired. Article V
136 section 5.7 says:
137
138 Any vacancy occurring in the Board of Trustees, including any vacancy
139 created by reason of an increase in the authorized number of Trustees, may
140 be filled by the affirmative vote of a majority of the remaining Trustees
141 though less than a quorum of the Board of Trustees or by a sole remaining
142 director. A director elected to fill a vacancy shall hold office only until
143 the next election of Trustees by the members.
144
145 I suspect we would need to consult the New Mexico state laws to determine
146 what is allowed. Without having read, I suspect that the members can also
147 request special elections (similar to 2b-2f) to elect a new board. I would
148 recommend to read the NM state laws to confirm.
149
150 The foundation itself publishes a list of voting members (its on the wiki).
151
152 -A
157 > > > Therefore, I'd like to propose an another model, which is pretty much
158 > > > what we have now, possibly with some clarifications.
159 > > >
160 > > > For fans of fancy diagrams:
161 > > >
162 > > > Board/Trustees (Foundation)
163 > > > |
164 > > > Council
165 > > > |
166 > > > all other projects in Gentoo
167 > > >
168 > > >
169 > > > As I see it, it's a pretty straightforward and clean structure. We have
170 > > > two organizational bodies: Council and Board/Trustees (I don't really
171 > > > see a reason to rename it).
172 > > >
173 > > > The duty of the Board/Trustees is to handle legal affairs. It is also
174 > > > on the top of organizational structure with the power to override any
175 > > > decision *if it goes against the law / CoC / etc.* In other words, it
176 > > > has the highest power but must use it responsibly, and does not need to
177 > > > be normally engaged in Gentoo affairs.
178 > > >
179 > > > The duty of the Council is to handle all affairs within Gentoo. All
180 > > > projects are below Council, and Council is the final 'normal' appeal
181 > > > for all decisions. Unlike some beliefs, its role is not limited to
182 > > > technical matters.
183 > > >
184 > > > This provides a good split of responsibilities for a non-profit. On one
185 > > > hand, we have a 'compliance board' (== Board/Trustees) that handles
186 > > > the legal affairs but doesn't get in the way of the distribution unless
187 > > > it is absolutely necessary, and we have an 'executive board' (==
188 > > > Council) that handles the distribution.
189 > > >
190 > > > Obviously, this also meets the necessity of different qualities. Board
191 > > > members/Trustees need to be fluent in the laws and/or finances. Council
192 > > > members need social skills mostly, and possibly some technical skills
193 > > > to be able to interact with the community. We no longer give extra
194 > > > power to someone just because nobody else wants to do the legal work.
195 > > >
196 > > > I don't see why would anybody claim this not to be a normal or
197 > > > beneficial structure. It is definitely more clear than what you're
198 > > > proposing, and definitely less likely for conflicts of interest. It
199 > > > provides a consistent decision appeal possibility, with a dedicated
200 > > > body to handle appeals regarding CoC/law.
201 > > >
202 > >
203 > > I see this as workable, not my preferred solution, but acceptable. I
204 > > would personally rather have non-technical things and infra things
205 > > outside of Council, but like I said, this can work.
206 >
207 > Moving things outside of Council would require another administrative
208 > body to have a nice vertical structure with additional appeal body.
209 >
210 > Furthermore, as I pointed out, QA is there to handle the purely
211 > technical affairs. Council provides a higher level of appeal
212 > and decision making that combines the social and technical aspects,
213 > and I think it actually focuses on the former these days.
214 >
215 > As I mentioned on IRC, the USE=gtk* fiasco is the best example. If you
216 > attempt to solve technical problems without considering the social
217 > aspect, you create policies that are not respected. To run Gentoo you
218 > have to actually focus on the social aspect, and find a way to make
219 > people agree with one another.
220 >
221 > --
222 > Best regards,