From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 02:16:16
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:40 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Saturday, November 12, 2016 8:24:12 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> In either case the person affected can appeal to Council which makes
6 >> the final decision.
7 >
8 > If a problem went from Team Lead, or Leads, to a vote from the entire council.
9 > An appeal should not be necessary. There should not be an appeal process or
10 > need. Such things should not occur and everyone should be doing everything
11 > possible to prevent it. Thus again nothing to appeal.
12
13 Sure. In an ideal world the Council would send out a call for agenda
14 items each month, and there wouldn't be any, because everybody is
15 resolving their own issues on their own.
16
17 Team leads already try to deal with conflicts within their teams.
18 Sometimes they're unable to do so. Maybe the team lead is part of the
19 problem.
20
21 And this is why we have a process for dealing with these sorts of
22 issues. They don't always go away on their own.
25 >> I don't really see the need to make the appeal automatic, which is
26 >> basically what you're advocating. If the person affected accepts the
27 >> decision, then it can stand. If they don't think the decision is
28 >> right, they can appeal.
29 >
30 > I do not see your obsession with this appeal. Do you really want to waste more
31 > of the councils time?
32
33 What would you prefer that the Council spend their time on? The main
34 purpose of the Council is to deal with cases where individual projects
35 aren't able to resolve things on their own, conflicts between
36 projects, and appeals from Comrel/QA. It is a democratically elected
37 governance body.
38
39 You seem to be content posting dozens of emails complaining about how
40 you're being treated, but are apparently unwilling to send one email
41 to try to get your personal situation resolved. I'm not sure how you
42 think you're saving anybody time.
43
44 > I am not even council member or developer, but will not
45 > bring stupid matters to the council to waste others time. Clearly you have a
46 > different level of respect for others time on a TECHNICAL project not social.
47
48 People aren't robots. You can't design the perfect algorithm and drop
49 a bunch of people into the mix and watch them happily go about their
50 jobs. Part of leadership is dealing with social issues and not merely
51 technical ones.
52
53 When there are problems you can't always solve them by writing more
54 rules either.
57 > Given your blatant view of the status quo and your comments is a very large
58 > part why I feel any appeal is futile. I seriously hope there is different
59 > leadership on the Council. One that is more open minded to changing the status
60 > quo. Which clearly you are seeking to preserve and further restrict so the
61 > state quo remains.
62
63 I'm all for changing the status quo, as I've posted, and indeed posted
64 two years ago in the email I linked earlier in the thread. I'm just
65 not in favor of changing it into what you seem to advocate. I don't
66 really know of any large FOSS project that just lets people mistreat
67 each other as long as their code is fine. I don't think that such an
68 approach is likely to maintain an environment where people want to
69 participate.
70
71 > Rich nothing personal, but I vehemently disagree with how you view most
72 > things. Your helping to take Gentoo in a very bad direction. Albeit with good
73 > intentions. Given your public view, appeal to you is pointless.
74
75 It isn't like somebody died and put me in charge. I just get one
76 vote, and I'm subject to re-election annually in this role. Appeals
77 are decided by the Council as a whole, and deal with the specifics of
78 a case and not just general policy.
79
80 Now, if the whole subject of your appeal is that you don't think that
81 the Code of Conduct should apply to you, well, then sure I'm not going
82 to agree with that. I'll still look at the particulars of your
83 situation and decide if I think Comrel is doing the right thing, and
84 I'm sure the other Council members will do the same. However, I'm not
85 likely to suddenly decide that the Code of Conduct doesn't matter.
86
87 I don't take any of this personally, and I don't begrudge you
88 disagreeing with me. You're hardly the first to disagree with my
89 position on this matter, and I've been upfront about my opinion of the
90 importance of the code of conduct for a fairly long time:
91
92 https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/council-manifesto-2013.xml
93 For anybody reading lists the last few weeks it will be no shock that
94 I do advocate a change in the status quo when it comes to dealing with
95 CoC and such. I definitely favor a much more activist Council. That
96 said, I also grok the zen of minimal interference, and I don't think
97 that every problem is best solved with an official vote. If elected I
98 won't be afraid to cast a vote to step in when I think enough is
99 enough, but I intend to try to work via other channels whenever I can.
100 [ Note that I was advocating more enforcement of the CoC at the time
101 on the lists. ]
102
103 https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/council-manifesto-2014.xml
104 I would like to see some kind of accountability to Council beyond just
105 the appeals provision. Perhaps they're appointed, or confirmed, or at
106 least able to be recalled. Maybe some routine reporting of how things
107 are going is appropriate. It can be a two-way street as well - how can
108 Council enable and make these organizations more effective? I think
109 the change to QA was a positive one, and I'd love to see that
110 extended.
111
112 https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/council-manifesto-2015.txt
113 https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/council-manifesto-2016.txt
114 * Code of conduct is important. If comrel gives you a hard time, don't
115 expect me to just bail you out. I favor rehabilitation over punishment,
116 but there has to be a commitment to change. If you're struggling with
117 conflict, please try to get help with it before it gets to that point.
118 I'm always willing to listen.
121 Anybody who voted for me ought to have read those. It's perfectly
122 fine to disagree with me but I'd be neglecting my duties if I didn't
123 stick to what I said before people voted for me.
127 Rich