From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo conflicts and leadership
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:08:01
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 3:16 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > What really needs to happen, as a priority, is Gentoo as a whole needs
4 > to acknowledges and actively pursue the idea that the "Gentoo community"
5 > is significantly greater than, and not _EQUAL-TO_ the Gentoo Developers
6 > as defined by those electing council and those who hold a @g.o email and
7 > /gentoo/developer/<nick> IRC cloak. Until this happens, it is clearly
8 > visible that there is a potential conflict of interest in that the
9 > "community" preserves the status-quo and only ever acts on it's own
10 > interests, and not that of, for instance, its user-base or the *linux
11 > community* at large.
14 Anybody who wants to become a developer can do so if they have the
15 ability and desire to contribute positively.
16
17 I get that there are people who don't have these abilities/desires,
18 and they may not always agree with where the developers want to take
19 things. In the end though, we're volunteers. We scratch our own
20 itches.
21
22 On the whole I think a lot more benefits fall down to the larger
23 community when developers are happy than when they aren't, and so it
24 is going to be the nature of Gentoo to cater to the desires of the
25 developers.
26
27 What is the alternative, giving a lot of voting power to people who
28 aren't developers? Suppose we do that. Suppose the larger community
29 uses their voting power to pass a policy that they want but which
30 developers don't want. Well, the developers will probably react by
31 spending their time doing other things, since nobody is forcing them
32 to contribute anything. Suddenly the community has shot itself in the
33 foot.
34
35 Ultimately Gentoo is working together to produce a product. If it is
36 a product that you want to use, then use it. If it is a product that
37 you don't want to use, please contact us for a full refund, and
38 consider contributing to somebody who makes a product that you do want
39 to use. That's why we have 4000 linux distributions and not one.
40 There is no rule saying we can have only one source-based distro
41 either, we certainly don't have just one binary distribution. Of
42 late, I'm not convinced that a lot of newer Gentoo users even care
43 that it is source-based. There is also no rule saying that we can
44 only have one distro that doesn't require running systemd... :)
47 Rich