From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Council candidates: Future of the Foundation
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 21:44:05
1 On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is one more aspect to this: some companies double donations
4 > for 501c3 organizations. A friend of mine works in a large
5 > corporation with HQ is the US and told me that his employer doubles
6 > any donations made to 501c3, so he made no donation for Gentoo,
7 > because that will mean loosing money for community which otherwise
8 > can be doubled. So it is likely that 501c3 will increase incoming
9 > donations.
10
11 That is a really good point and I'll expand on this.
12
13 Some organizations will only donate money to 501c3 organizations.
14 Basically they're letting the IRS do the due diligence around whether
15 the organization is actually charitable. They can potentially also
16 receive tax benefits this way.
17
18 If you want to receive grants/donations from other 501c3 organizations
19 you will be far more likely to get them if you are yourself a 501c3
20 organization. These transactions receive far less scrutiny than
21 transfers from 501c3s to other types of corporations.
24 Rich