From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:01:17
Daniel Butzu wrote:

> On 1/19/08, Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote: > >> For the record: I'd still like drobbins involved, but I don't think his >> terms were at all reasonable, and the way he went about it was >> reprehensible imo. It was designed to cause the furore it did, and only >> makes me give credence to the argument that much of the negative press on >> distrowatch has come from an associate of his. It was a totally political >> move, and not at all motivated by concern for Gentoo afaic. If he cared >> that much, he'd have approached Mr Goodyear privately or on the nfp list >> if he wanted to be "open". Not put everyone through all this stress. >> > Maybe. However, since it caused the furore it did it seems that a lot > of users were unsatisfied.
>> Users used to feel just as excluded when drobbins was in charge
There appears to be some myth going round that everything was sweetness and light back in those days; it's not true, and further the distro was an absolute pig to maintain: <long time user> "I used Gentoo when it was version 0.7, which was omg broken. Packages were added to portage and this would be stable, that would not compile at all. Then you had to re-sync to compile it, so in a day, you would need to re-sync portage 3 or 4 times to get everything to compile. :P ..Even still back in the 1.4 days, people really had no idea what to do."
> You can't stir up something when there is nothing to stir up.
Actually I think this whole drama shows that you can, or at least you can draw attention to one thing (lack of paperwork) and pretend it means something else (Gentoo is dying! Again!) People like drama.
> So maybe we should focus more on our problems today, since we were unable > of doing it yesterday.
Er yeah, maybe you'd like to discuss those then? That was what the rest of my mail was about.