From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 20:08:15
1 With regards to confidentiality:
2
3 In My Opinion (tm), there's a reason we put people under oath when they're
4 witnesses at a trial. Because what they say has an impact on someone's
5 fate, and this applies whether it's a civil OR a criminal procedure. The
6 oath is a formal means of making them "super duper pinky swear" that what
7 they say is going to be the truth.
8
9 Relatedly, there is also the concept of perjury. If someone gets caught
10 fibbing in court, in addition to tainting the credibility of the witness as
11 a whole, also gets them in VERY hot water with the criminal side of
12 things. In my home state, perjury is a Class B felony.
13
14 As an amusing bit of history, if I remember my research correctly, in
15 ancient greco-roman times, witnesses at a trial swore an oath, literally,
16 on their testicles. The penalty for perjury? Castration. It is said,
17 that this is why we call it testimony. The point is that a witness had to
18 put some skin in the game if they wanted the judge to take them seriously.
19
20 Going back to the topic at hand, I personally do not think that people who
21 wish to offer "binding" testimony should be protected unconditionally by
22 confidentiality. If someone wants to testify about something I think that
23 they should be prepared for a public skewering...if it turns out they were
24 lying their asses off. And something needs to grant the defendant a way to
25 defend themselves from bad testimony. Even if someone isn't deliberately
26 setting someone up for a comrel smackdown, there's always the possibility
27 of a misunderstanding and letting the defendant explain their side could
28 well shed light on the situation if nothing else.
29
30 Separate but important point:
31
32 As far as the "accused's" own confidentiality I very much favor a comrel
33 "defendant" having the power to grant consent to have his own information
34 made public. This, I assume would at a minimum include whatever comrel
35 itself told the defendant.
36
37 On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>