From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 06:52:28
1 On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Michael Jones wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> Its fine as long as infra is the centre of our operations. Because github
7 >> is so much better than cvs provided by infra (sorry infra its true) I worry
8 >> that we'll depend on it too much. To be honest, I love the entire github
9 >> workflow and would feel much better if we could just own it ourselves.
12 > In case folks on this list haven't seen it before, Gerrit[1] offers a
13 > workflow that might be attractive to Gentoo, over and above GitHub's.
14
15 A few people have mentioned gerrit over time and the infra team is aware
16 of it. Unfortunately, gerrit requires Java[1].
17
18 [1] -
19 https://gerrit-documentation.storage.googleapis.com/Documentation/2.10/install.html#requirements
20
21 > Some example's of Gerrit in use include the Qt project [2] and Coreboot
22 > project [3]
23 >
24 > Of special interest is that Gerrit provides an API by which verification
25 > scripts can be run against each patch under consideration, such a repoman.
26 > It further lets authorized users to push a patch from the web, without
27 > needing to open the git commandline, similar to how GitHub pull requests
28 > work.
29 >
30 > Just food for thought!
31 >
32 > Cheers
33 > --Michael Jones
37 >> --
38 >> Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
39 >> Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
40 >> E-Mail : blueness@g.o
41 >> GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
42 >> GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA
46 > [1] https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
47 > [2] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/status:open,n,z
48 > [3] http://review.coreboot.org/#/q/status:open