From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: live ebuilds, masking in p.mask or with empty keywords
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:13:35
1 On 11/03/2013 05:05 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>
5 >> We already have an existing policy, which is option 1.
6 >
7 > Citation?
8 >
9 > I've been masking live ebuilds with option 2 ever since QA filed a bug
10 > telling me to - I don't think that policy was written down either.
11 >
12 > What is written down is:
13 > "Live" cvs.eclass ebuilds are generally only intended for the
14 > convenience of developers and should always be masked with a ~[arch]
15 > keyword. [1]
16 >
17 > That would be none of the above - half the tree is "masked" with ~arch
18 > keywords. I'm not suggesting that this is the right way to do it -
19 > only that there certainly is nothing approaching a clear policy on the
20 > matter.
21 >
22 > Rich
23 >
24 > [1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1&style=printable
27 I feel that we need some way for live ebuilds to be unmasked. For
28 instance, there are openstack ebuilds are available that track stable
29 branches in git. These are very useful as they tend to get bugs before
30 a release is made. Backporting patches is no fun. I could see 9999
31 packages getting p.masked but not something like 2013.1.2.9999.
34 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)