From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 18:40:23
1 On Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:19:19 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:00 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 >
4 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I also had thoughts of helping to provide funds for travel to developers,
6 > > and in a utopian world also provide development gear, laptop, etc. Gentoo
7 > > being a 501c6 like the NFL was, and PGA Tour. The PGA Tour provides
8 > > laptops to members, Tiger Woods etc. Gentoo could be doing the same with
9 > > proper organization, and a functional foundation.
10 > >
11 > > So many things are possible with proper organization, leadership, and a
12 > > strong foundation....
13 >
14 > Perhaps you mean a professional leadership and lots of money? I'm not
15 > convinced the average Gentoo developer would like Gentoo to run like
16 > the NFL, Canonical, or even Apache. None of these are small
17 > community-based organizations.
18
19 Works for FreeBSD, Gnome and many others. The idea is not to keep Gentoo
20 small. Also not to continue to run Gentoo via consensus. Even democracies
21 elect leaders who have their own agenda. They are not doing everything the way
22 everyone who voted for them would want everything done.
23
24 It is called Leadership! Most leaders do not lead by consensus. To lead you
25 will at times do things that will make others unhappy. While they may not be
26 happy with process, it is the outcome that matters. If people do not like the
27 outcome, new leader, new direction.
28
29 Every decision or action does not have to please everyone. Most organizations
30 are not run that way, if any. That sort of thinking will keep things in a
31 quagmire. You cannot please everyone all the time, or even some of the time.
32 Still must be leadership to reach some direction that is felt to be the best
33 for all.
34
35 Why leaders are typically elected more on ideals than a specific agenda. Not
36 sure anyone who has voted for someone, agrees with every decision that leader
37 made.
38
39 > I'd love to see something like an annual Gentoo conference, but part
40 > of me wonders if the changes we'd need to make to have such a thing
41 > would leave us happy with the result.
42
43 Why do people need to be happy? The difference between work and play is?
46 William L. Thomson Jr.