From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:25:09

On 08/14/2011 01:15 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
> Markos Chandras schrieb: >> Hi all, >> >> This is the first of the items I would like to discuss for the >> next Council agenda (or a later one). >> >> Some time ago, few people proposed to have Council appointed >> leaders for QA and DevRel. > > My first question: Why is your proposal restricted to QA and DevRel?
Cause I believe these teams are crucial to the continuity of Gentoo project.
> >> I like the idea because this way the Council can ensure that the >> team is active or either force some activity in case the current >> leader slacks big time. > > If there is noone active in a team, noone prevents other devs to join > the team and vote themselves for the lead. So even if there is no > activity, it should be no problem to get activity, if someone is > interested to do the work.
Right now, you can't join any of these teams unless a lead approves you. Have a look at gentoo-qa ML. If the team is inactive and noone interested, the Council wont be able
> to create any activity either, since they cannot force anyone to do > something.
You can't just join a dead team and become a lead :). There are some bureaucracy^W procedures to follow.
> >> Furthermore, right now there is the potential problem for the >> leader to only allow new members that he likes so they can vote for >> him on next elections. Membership and voting actions should not be >> related in these teams. > > How is this specific to those 2 projects? Other projects do work the > same way, so if you argument this way, you should extend your > proposal to all projects, not just QA and DevRel. >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>