From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>, David Abbott <dabbott@g.o>, Gentoo Trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Meeting agenda - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 15:36:20
1 On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I would like to apologize for this harmful generalization. Not all
4 > Trustees in the history of Foundation were incompetent. In particular,
5 > it is worth noting that Robin H. Johnson has put a significant effort
6 > in improving the tax situation, and Daniel Campbell had his contribution
7 > too.
10 Honestly, I think would be helpful if everybody tries to
11 de-personalize this discussion.
12
13 I think it makes the most sense to figure out what kind of
14 meta-structure we want, without regard to the titles individuals are
15 currently holding. We can always hold an election to re-sort people
16 (old or new) into the new roles (IMO this should be done if we make
17 any major changes, precisely because we DON'T want to design roles
18 with named individuals in mind).
19
20 I think the question should be what kind of design is sustainable.
21
22 I do think that the skills we have to work with should be fair game in
23 a discussion. We're mostly programmers/sysadmins/enthusiasts, and
24 lawyers are pretty rare in the community. I do think that our
25 metastructure would benefit from emphasizing the skills our community
26 actually has. We could also hire in skills we don't have, and I don't
27 have an issue with that, but again in that case we need to be mindful
28 of our current cash flow. It doesn't make sense to adopt the
29 metastructure appropriate for a company with a $50M annual budget when
30 we operate on a small fraction of this.
31
32 However, all of this can be done without smearing those serving in
33 various roles today. IMO most genuinely are trying to do what they
34 think is best for the distro, and I doubt most would have been elected
35 if a lot of people didn't share that sentiment.
38 Rich