From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 02:16:52
1 On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 2018-06-14 16:14, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > They seem to offer docker packages, so we could just nab those and run
6 > > them in containers on hosts. I'm not too keen on doing a bunch of
7 > > (really what I consider busywork) to try to 'get it working on Gentoo.'
8 > > We already use upstream provided containers and I expect that to
9 > > continue as upstreams continue to abandon the 'release packages' model
10 > > and move to 'release sets of containers' model.
11 >
12 > Huh? Is this the Gentoo-way? I hope not! :(
13 >
14 > No, I really hope something like that will never happen. Like I hope we
15 > will never see the attempt to add "FLATPAK", "Snap"... to the official
16 > Gentoo repository.
19 I think you will find that vendors who offer fairly complex applications
20 will continue to focus on vertically integrated solutions
21 (e.g. containers) because its cheaper (build once run anywhere) and
22 scalable (you don't need to maintain N packages, for N distros.)
23
24 I won't comment on what the "Gentoo" way is (because there are dozens of us
25 and we don't all agree) but as a human trying to deploy these sorts of
26 services; I don't see much point in packaging them when upstream offers a
27 container deployment. Given the dozens of hours I could spend trying to
28 write ebuilds for all of the bundled stuff vs deploying the container..I'm
29 going to deploy the container most of the time precisely because I don't
30 need the 'gentoo customized build', particularly when containers offer
31 isolation boundaries between the application runtime and my system runtime.
32
33 Obviously containers have their own customization challenges (but also
34 provide layers of isolation where extreme customization is lower priority
35 than 10 years ago) and also present interesting security challenges (how do
36 you keep up to date, you cannot use more traditional security tools) but I
37 suspect organizations can adapt to the former and the industry will provide
38 for the latter at some point.
39
40 -A
44 > --
45 > Regards,
46 > Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
47 > C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5