From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:00:43
1 On January 5, 2017 2:58:26 AM GMT+09:00, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >With increasing focus on security in various contexts I'd like to
3 >propose that we start discussing catching up with other distributions
4 >and start requiring new developers' OpenPGP keyblocks to have at least
5 >two signatures from existing developers before applications can be
6 >made[A]. Amongst other things This helps building the Gentoo Web of
7 >Trust.
10 >E.g [Debian] has the following requirement: "To maintain the strong Web
11 >of Trust that connects all Debian Developers, Applicants need to
12 >identify themselves by providing an OpenPGP key that is signed by at
13 >least two official Developers. To further ensure their identity,
14 >signatures by other people (who do not need to be DDs, but should be
15 >well connected in the overall Web of Trust) are strongly recommended."
18 Debian can work with Web of Trust because of the annual Debconf and/or some local Debian meeting.
19 I think Gentoo approaches and objectives are different.
20 Gentoo is looking more at the technical skill of the person, not at how much is well connected.
21 imho
24 >References:
25 >
26 >[Debian] https://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-checklist
29 >Endnotes:
30 >
31 >[A] Possibly with an opt-out by application to council, in case there
32 >are certain regions where this is considered non-feasable etc.