From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 17:31:25
1 On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:05:30 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 06:38:10 -0800
3 >
4 > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I think a more fair restriction would be to place it on Comrel and
7 > > Council, as they are being trusted to not share private information.
8 > > What the two (or more?) sides do in a dispute isn't something we can
9 > > reasonably control, except on our own infrastructure. I find it
10 > > unnecessary and meaningless to place sanctions on users or other
11 > > participants of a conflict if they choose to make their communications
12 > > public. It's /their/ dirty laundry, after all.
13 >
14 > This particular point, aside to ensuring that teams keep the necessary
15 > secrecy, serves the goals:
16 >
17 > 1. to discourage users from taking 'revenge' on others by disclosing
18 > their secrets,
19 >
20 > 2. to discourage users from bickering and turning Gentoo into a public
21 > stoning place whenever they are unhappy with a disciplinary decision.
22 >
23 > The first point is more important. Consider the following case. Alice
24 > tells Bob her secret. Some time later Bob starts bullying Alice.
25 > Eventually, Alice files a complaint at ComRel and Bob gets banned. Now,
26 > Bob wants to reveal Alice's secret to take revenge on her.
27
28 Making everything public ensures no secrets. Privacy and secrecy should not
29 exist or be needed for a public open source project. With the only exception
30 being security vulnerabilities for obvious reason.
31
32 Any event being handled likely started in public to begin with, thus should
33 remain that way for 100% transparency. Also to ensure no problems with leaking
34 or making private/secret information public. Solves many problems.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.