From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:06:40
1 On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 06:38:10 -0800
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/15/2017 11:23 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > It should be noted that an unauthorized disclosure of sensitive
6 > > information by any party involved would be a base for a strong
7 > > disciplinary action.
8 >
9 > Overall fair procedures and points, but this particular part punishes
10 > whistleblowing, from inside *or* outside Gentoo. If a given
11 > target/subject decides to share all related communications to make their
12 > points publicly, the above suggestion recommends the subject is silenced
13 > and/or ejected for revealing something directly involving them.
14 >
15 > If the intent is to make whistleblowing risky or otherwise (socially)
16 > dangerous, then it'll get the job done, but at a cost to community
17 > morale over the long term. I don't support a procedure that punishes
18 > people for pointing out when it (the procedure) is not working correctly.
19 >
20 > I think a more fair restriction would be to place it on Comrel and
21 > Council, as they are being trusted to not share private information.
22 > What the two (or more?) sides do in a dispute isn't something we can
23 > reasonably control, except on our own infrastructure. I find it
24 > unnecessary and meaningless to place sanctions on users or other
25 > participants of a conflict if they choose to make their communications
26 > public. It's /their/ dirty laundry, after all.
27
28 This particular point, aside to ensuring that teams keep the necessary
29 secrecy, serves the goals:
30
31 1. to discourage users from taking 'revenge' on others by disclosing
32 their secrets,
33
34 2. to discourage users from bickering and turning Gentoo into a public
35 stoning place whenever they are unhappy with a disciplinary decision.
36
37 The first point is more important. Consider the following case. Alice
38 tells Bob her secret. Some time later Bob starts bullying Alice.
39 Eventually, Alice files a complaint at ComRel and Bob gets banned. Now,
40 Bob wants to reveal Alice's secret to take revenge on her.
41
42 Do you really think he should be allowed do that, just because he
43 disagrees with the decision? Because I certainly don't think we should
44 support behavior like that, and as far as I'm concerned a person that
45 does that should be isolated from the Gentoo community.
46
47 The second point has already been covered by Rich. If you believe
48 the decision was unjust, appeal. If your appeal was overthrown, get on
49 with it. We don't really need people turning themselves into martyrs,
50 demanding public judgment and ComRel stoning three times a day.
51
52 I know this rule won't prohibit this completely but I believe we're
53 really better off without public prosecutions. I should also point out
54 that some people jump straight to this without even filing an appeal --
55 and I think that's the best proof we need.
58 Best regards,
59 Michał Górny
60 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>