From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:50:24
1 On 10/9/15 6:31 AM, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 10/09/2015 03:21 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:24:30 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> So perhaps it was unwise for us to get into a situation where either 1) we
6 >>>> violate the Social Contract or 2) we have to surmount a technically
7 >>>> difficult situation.
8 >>>>
9 >>> I don't see how mirroring github on bugzilla violates our social
10 >>> contract, for several reasons:
11 >>>
12 >>> 1. Developers aren't required to post patches to bugzilla before
13 >>> committing them to the tree, so nothing is lost by posting patches on
14 >>> github that might otherwise not be posted anywhere.
15 >>> 2. Developers aren't required to open bugs on bugzilla before fixing
16 >>> bugs. So, nothing is lost by opening pull requests on github that
17 >>> might otherwise not be opened anywhere.
18 >> The problem comes not from the fact that GitHub stuff is not
19 >> mirrored on bugzilla, but from the fact that with GitHub
20 >> integration Gentoo becomes dependent on a proprietary
21 >> metadata, which is outside of control of our community. Bugzilla
22 >> mirroring was discussed only as one of possible solutions.
23 >>
24 > No, gentoo does not become dependent on a proprietary metadata.
25 > The metadata is in the git repository. How someone communicates a change
26 > to other maintainers is up to him and that may as well happen via
27 > VoIP... you want people to record their talk and then upload it to
28 > bugzilla? No, I won't, because it was encrypted and private.
29 > The same applies for IRC, where you could argue we don't have full
30 > control over the infrastructure and as a result, no one is allowed to
31 > discuss stuff there, but only on bugzilla. This really makes no sense.
32 >
33 Some changes are trivial and can be communicated in any way. Eg. you
34 communicated to me recently via github that I needed and `|| die` in a
35 ebuild. But some changes are not trivial and have far reaching
36 consequences. I will ask for those to be discussed in a public forum
37 where other devs can see it and its open to public scrutiny. Eg. we had
38 the discussion about libressl on this list. If an important discussion
39 starts on github, what am I to say, or what will most devs say? They
40 will not say let's move it to bugzilla, they'll have the discussion
41 there. Once that happens, we have important history on infrastructure
42 outside of our control. That where we cross the line with the social
43 contract.
46 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
47 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
48 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
49 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
50 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA