From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] 'Gentoo in 2020' summary
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 20:10:51
1 On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 12:35 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi, everyone.
4 >
5 > I think it would be really great if we could publish a summary of
6 > (good) things that happened in Gentoo in 2020. We weren't able to
7 > maintain Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, nor Monthly. However, we might be
8 > able to manage at least a yearly Newsletter ;-).
9 >
10 > I know I'm going to regret this but I volunteer to take care of
11 > combining and publishing the data. Nevertheless, I'd really appreciate
12 > if you could reply to this mail with ideas of what you think would be
13 > worth listing. I'd also use a native English speaker for editorial
14 > help.
17 > Please reply with your ideas in the form of:
18 >
19 > [sort-key] **A short sentence summarizing the change.** 1-3 sentences
20 > of detailed explanation.
23 [infra] Bugzilla DB migration, performance improvements.
24 We migrated bugzilla to a newer database cluster (mysql galera) and
25 ported bugzilla from CGI to mod_perl, resulting in a large performance
26 improvement (sometimes as much as 800ms faster per request.)
27
28 [infra] CFEngine migration 90% complete.
29 Infra remains on an older version of cfengine. We have deleted about
30 5000 lines of config with 2 major services to migrate off of. We began
31 using cfengine in 2002; and started using puppet in 2010. In 2021 we
32 will
33 be free of cfengine.
34
35 [infra] Capacity shuffle.
36 We turned down 3 machines this year (grebe, grouse, brambling) and
37 have at least 5 machines to replace in 2021 (gannet, godwit, nightjar,
38 nightheron, noddie) Most infra machines are around 10 years old. We
39 onboarded some new machines as well (pardalote, petrel, vanga) and
40 have additional machines coming online in 2021. In 2020 we renewed our
41 OSS credits with Amazon Web Services and we signed a contract with
42 Fastly to provide OSS credits that we are using for CDN services to
43 make our offerings faster for our users.
44
45 -A
48 > I think we'll publish this on the website, so please use Markdown
49 > and possibly link to the relevant projects. The idea is that the users
50 > can skim through the changes in bold, and decide whether they want to
51 > read on.
54 > Example:
55 >
56 > [dist-kernel] **The [Distribution Kernel](https://...) project was
57 > launched to install kernels directly from ebuilds.** To lower
58 > the entry barrier and maintenance effort, the project also provides
59 > a stock configuration for popular architectures based on Fedora.
62 > I think we'll then split it into a few groups. I'm thinking of:
63 >
64 > 1. New developers (yay!).
65 > 2. Major changes (focused on things impacting end users).
66 > 3. Other changes.
69 > WDYT?
70 >
71 > --