From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:52:46
1 On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Am Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2017, 00:17:38 CET schrieb Michał Górny:
4 >>
5 >> We've put a significant effort to make it convenient to use GitHub to
6 >> contribute to Gentoo. Many users have appreciated that, and so did many
7 >> developers. I think we can call that a success. However, I don't think
8 >> that's really successful enough.
9 >>
10 >> The main goal for using GitHub was to make it easy both for users to
11 >> submit their contributions, and for Gentoo developers to review
12 >> and merge them. However, for that to work out we'd actually have to have
13 >> more Gentoo developers *care* and we don't have that.
14 >
15 > At the moment we have 22508 open bugs in bugzilla... should we maybe close
16 > that too?
17
18 ++
19
20 Open bugs/PRs that are no longer relevant are noise, but open bugs/PRs
21 that are still valid are actually signal. The more of these that you
22 leave open, the greater the chance that one will get fixed.
23
24 Sure, lots of ignored issues does say something about the project, but
25 I think we also need to manage the expectation that volunteers will
26 always fix issues the moment they're reported. If one checks in once
27 every six months to clean up some bugs, that is still better than if
28 they didn't check in at all. Simply closing real issues is treating
29 the symptom and not the underlying issue (which probably can only be
30 treated if people step up, and having PRs probably makes that easier
31 if anything).
32
33 The biggest concern (IMO) would be if an issue languishes as a PR when
34 it might be fixed if it were a bug. I think some automation might
35 help there, but I am skeptical of the idea that somebody who
36 completely ignores a PR would suddenly start paying attention if it
37 were a bug.
40 Rich