From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 13:10:47
1 W dniu wto, 31.10.2017 o godzinie 04∶52 -0700, użytkownik Rich Freeman
2 napisał:
3 > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
4 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Am Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2017, 00:17:38 CET schrieb Michał Górny:
6 > > >
7 > > > We've put a significant effort to make it convenient to use GitHub to
8 > > > contribute to Gentoo. Many users have appreciated that, and so did many
9 > > > developers. I think we can call that a success. However, I don't think
10 > > > that's really successful enough.
11 > > >
12 > > > The main goal for using GitHub was to make it easy both for users to
13 > > > submit their contributions, and for Gentoo developers to review
14 > > > and merge them. However, for that to work out we'd actually have to have
15 > > > more Gentoo developers *care* and we don't have that.
16 > >
17 > > At the moment we have 22508 open bugs in bugzilla... should we maybe close
18 > > that too?
19 >
20 > ++
21 >
22 > Open bugs/PRs that are no longer relevant are noise, but open bugs/PRs
23 > that are still valid are actually signal. The more of these that you
24 > leave open, the greater the chance that one will get fixed.
25
26 Except that open PRs quickly become irrelevant or semi-relevant,
27 compared to the time which it takes to merge them. In the end, people
28 actually end up applying fixes to old versions while skipping the newest
29 because it was added independently.
30
31 And then some people will come and yell at you that you are using
32 'unofficial workflow' to 'hide' that signal from them.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny