From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 13:46:20
1 On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > That's why I made my own proposal.
3 >
4 > class supporter
5
6 If you change supporter to always be a foundation member (ie make
7 membership activation/removal simultaneous with instantiation) it
8 could work. However, I still question the need for a 3rd tier. Who
9 would you want to give a vote to, but not some kind of active role in
10 the community (@g.o address, some kind of access, etc)?
11
12 Perhaps I'm channeling my inner Heinlein here, but if you want to have
13 an official say in how things go, then you should get your hands
14 dirty. If your hands really are dirty, then you should be recognized
15 as such. The bar need not be set exactly where it is today, but there
16 should be some kind of minimum activity level if somebody wants to be
17 a member. It shouldn't just be people who "like Gentoo." Gentoo has
18 to work first and foremost for those who are active contributors,
19 since those are the people we most need to keep happy. If people want
20 to have more of a say and become active contributors to have that say,
21 then so much the better. Also, if you want somebody to have a role in
22 defining just how the operation works, then they need to demonstrate
23 that they're going to be an informed voter/etc. You can't run a
24 volunteer-based organization on wishful thinking.
25
26 And of course anybody can post an opinion and try to influence others.
27 However, if you want to actually have a vote that counts, then you
28 need to have some kind of skin in the game.
31 Rich