From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 23:38:55
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:39:03 -0400
5 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
6
7 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
8 > > And as I've said before, if we think a policy doesn't make sense, we
9 > > can change it. But changing a policy that affects Council and then
10 > > applying it retroactively gets tricky, because Council themselves are
11 > > part of the approval process.
12 >
13 > Nothing too tricky - council votes that the GLEP is to be modified
14 > retroactively. A few folks complain. Life goes on.
15 >
16 > > Changing policy is a fairly lengthy
17 > > procedure, but right now Council is on a one month clock to hold an
18 > > election unless something changes. It still seems to me that Petteri
19 > > has it right, and that it's better just to do it rather than talk about
20 > > it.
23 > What happens if we just do nothing and pretend it didn't happen? Most
24 > likely, not much.
27 We send the message to the community that policies don't much matter.
28 In this case, someone did bring up policy, so I don't see how we can
29 pretend it didn't happen.
30
31 > Don't get me wrong - I'm not into dictatorships and I'm a big proponent
32 > of democracy. If most devs really want another election, then let's get
33 > it going. However, all of about 4-6 people (and not all devs) have
34 > chimed in on this discussion, which suggests that most don't care. If
35 > most devs don't care for a new election, wouldn't it just be a major
36 > distraction to call for an election now? You'll have three months of a
37 > lame-duck council and all kinds of decisions may get put off.
40 Not really, because the clock resets. So the election is for 12
41 months. That's pretty clear in the GLEP, I think.
42
43 > A few posters in this thread have suggested that they'll probably vote
44 > for the exact same council, but it is just important that we follow the
45 > process. Hopefully none of these posters are among those accusing
46 > Gentoo of being bureaucratic - having an election just for the sake of
47 > having an election when most folks don't want a change just seems like
48 > an exercise in procedure.
49 >
50 > I'm just trying to be pragmatic - the council was democratically
51 > elected, and a new council will be elected in a few months. If the
52 > council just went and disappeared I could see the need for an emergency
53 > election to keep things going. However, at this point an election will
54 > just delay stuff getting done.
55 >
56 > I think that an election now would be a mistake. However, if we really
57 > want to survey the devs it wouldn't be a bad thing, although if anybody
58 > other than the few of us cared strongly they could just post here. If
59 > there really are a lot of devs who would like us to follow the letter of
60 > the current GLEP 39 then I'd be all for an election.
61
62 Regards,
63 Ferris
64 - --
65 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
66 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel, Userrel, Trustees)