From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:39:21
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > And as I've said before, if we think a policy doesn't make sense, we
3 > can change it. But changing a policy that affects Council and then
4 > applying it retroactively gets tricky, because Council themselves are
5 > part of the approval process.
6
7 Nothing too tricky - council votes that the GLEP is to be modified
8 retroactively. A few folks complain. Life goes on.
9
10 > Changing policy is a fairly lengthy
11 > procedure, but right now Council is on a one month clock to hold an
12 > election unless something changes. It still seems to me that Petteri
13 > has it right, and that it's better just to do it rather than talk about
14 > it.
17 What happens if we just do nothing and pretend it didn't happen? Most
18 likely, not much.
19
20 Don't get me wrong - I'm not into dictatorships and I'm a big proponent
21 of democracy. If most devs really want another election, then let's get
22 it going. However, all of about 4-6 people (and not all devs) have
23 chimed in on this discussion, which suggests that most don't care. If
24 most devs don't care for a new election, wouldn't it just be a major
25 distraction to call for an election now? You'll have three months of a
26 lame-duck council and all kinds of decisions may get put off.
27
28 A few posters in this thread have suggested that they'll probably vote
29 for the exact same council, but it is just important that we follow the
30 process. Hopefully none of these posters are among those accusing
31 Gentoo of being bureaucratic - having an election just for the sake of
32 having an election when most folks don't want a change just seems like
33 an exercise in procedure.
34
35 I'm just trying to be pragmatic - the council was democratically
36 elected, and a new council will be elected in a few months. If the
37 council just went and disappeared I could see the need for an emergency
38 election to keep things going. However, at this point an election will
39 just delay stuff getting done.
40
41 I think that an election now would be a mistake. However, if we really
42 want to survey the devs it wouldn't be a bad thing, although if anybody
43 other than the few of us cared strongly they could just post here. If
44 there really are a lot of devs who would like us to follow the letter of
45 the current GLEP 39 then I'd be all for an election.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature