From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 06:42:29
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 May 2017 23:20:45 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm not trolling. I'm asking questions and giving ideas on some
6 >> things that could be done better and making personal observations to
7 >> back up my thinking.
8 > Yeah ... this .... is what I was afraid would happen :)
9 >
10 > But its been a popular "technique" I've seen since ~2012 wherein people
11 > who find other people who they can't reach an agreement with are deemed
12 > "trolls", not because they *are* trolls, but because one of the parties
13 > gets so emotionally frustrated by the arguments presented, that they
14 > perceive the stubborn refusal to "see things my way" to be a deliberate
15 > attempt at causing chaos ;)
16 >
17 > I mean, "they disagree with me, I'm the fountain of knowledge on this
18 > planet and I can never be wrong, so they must know this, and are
19 > disagreeing with me just to make me unhappy"
20 >
21 > Orrr something like that :)
22 >
23 > I've taken to countering by assuming when somebody calls me a troll,
24 > that they're saying "you're right, because I don't have the patience to
25 > prove you wrong". ( Its probably a little disingenuous, but no more
26 > than calling everyone you disagree with a troll )
29 If you or Matthias would like to join in and discuss this issue, I'd be
30 more than willing to do so with you both and Rich. I use Gentoo and I
31 like it. It is rare that I post on lists like -project BUT, when I do,
32 it is because I'm trying to help. I'm not active generally on anything
33 outside -user but when I see something that needs discussing, especially
34 when a non-developer might could offer a new/different perspective, then
35 I engage. I'm not trying to put anyone in a bad position, including
36 Rich who I've conversed with on -user.
37
38 It's not that we disagree, it's that I get the impression that some
39 don't see the problem or just think ignoring it will help fix it. The
40 biggest thing that bothers me on this, the person who put in all that
41 effort and didn't accomplish anything. It wasn't because he did
42 anything incorrectly, didn't work with others or follow the process to
43 get the work done. It's because Gentoo couldn't even accept the help
44 someone was offering and that Gentoo needs more of in the future. Then
45 on top of that, he was disappointed and basically left hanging out in
46 the breeze with little explanation. All that before anyone posted
47 anything else. Then on top of that, when someone does post a
48 explanation, they get into trouble. It was handled badly and then it
49 went downhill from there. The second part that bothers me, someone
50 trying to give some truthful information getting punished as if lying
51 would be a better option or just ignoring the other person further would
52 help make it better.
53
54 The point I would like to see in a reply is that something should have
55 been done differently. Someone should be involved that can post a
56 response, since no one liked Williams, that explains the situation and
57 why all that work would not get to where it was intended to go, which
58 would be the portage tree it seems. I would hope that whoever does that
59 can do it in a way that doesn't lead to a person being "incredibly
60 disappointed" and most likely not wanting to be involved with Gentoo in
61 the future. I suspect that would be a rather large task on the last
62 part. It is possible and certainly trying is better than ignoring the
63 person.
64
65 For all the talk of needing more people, well, Gentoo has likely lost a
66 future person. Maybe it can be corrected but if nothing changes, then
67 it won't be corrected and regretfully, it will likely happen again.
68 Posting about this and trying to find a solution is not the problem.
69 Changing something in the process so that it doesn't happen again and
70 lead to someone else being handled the same way, that does help and
71 could lead to a much better outcome. Hopefully, it would leave a person
72 willing to help again in the future. We may never know what was just
73 lost for the future of Gentoo. What say we recognize the problem and
74 try to change something to make it work better?
75
76 Dale
77