From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo conflicts and leadership
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 20:58:48
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 3:36 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > I am not saying ideas should never come from developers. More than most the
5 > ideas should be coming from the council, as they are leading Gentoo. The
6 > council should always be receptive to developer input and ideas, but should be
7 > producing at least the same if not more themselves.
10 On this I disagree.
11
12 The kind of leadership you're talking about doesn't require winning an
13 election. Anybody can lead Gentoo in this way. This was largely the
14 intended role of project leaders back in the day.
15
16 The role of the Council is to keep all the disparate little projects
17 that make up Gentoo working in relative harmony. That way when the
18 leader of the C++ project wants to make a change that will break all
19 the Java packages you don't just have the two project leads fighting
20 WW3.
21
22 If somebody has an idea for where they want to take Gentoo I hope
23 they're not waiting until they win an election to implement it. If
24 nobody has any such ideas then we wouldn't have anybody to elect into
25 a Council role even if we thought the Council was the place for such
26 folks.
29 Rich