From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Social Contract, Council: please fix the mess you cause
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 01:36:36
1 On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > "Comments by selected people are welcome. "
5
6 And this would be why I've maintained that having non-overlapping
7 Council/Trustees is a problem waiting to happen. We have two
8 governing bodies that disagree and continue to escalate things, in
9 part because we don't allow an overlap in membership and there are
10 only so many people interested in either job to go around.
11
12 My prediction is that everybody will continue to get indignant leading
13 up to the next Council election, then the developers will vote to
14 maintain the status quo, and then at the next Trustee election there
15 will be at most 0-2 extra nominees above the number of open slots, who
16 will probably be motivated mostly out of disagreement with the
17 Council, and then we'll get to watch the infighting for another year.
18
19 The whole GLEP 39 thing only works if people actually abide by the
20 decisions that are made. Face it, when it comes down to things like
21 whether we boot people out for sexual harassment or not, or whether we
22 let their defenders claim that they were innocent until the end of
23 time on the lists, or we attempt to moderate them so that we look more
24 like a Linux distro than our Off The Wall forum page, we're just never
25 going to have 100% agreement. If there were 14 source-based distros
26 out there we could all pick the one that most aligns with our favorite
27 communications philosophy, PID 1, and text editor. Unfortunately
28 there are barely enough of us to make one distro viable, so we're just
29 going to have to find something we can all live with before everybody
30 ends up rage quitting.
31
32 FWIW this will not be the first time Gentoo has made the -dev list
33 more controlled for posting. Heck, I remember a time when most of the
34 serious talk happened on #gentoo-dev which I think is STILL dev-only
35 plus a whitelist. There are plenty of projects that have completely
36 closed development lists.
37
38 For all the concern of a closed list driving off newcomers, I suspect
39 that the constant posts about how some kind of cabal runs the distro
40 behind closed doors is probably more damaging. From the sound of
41 things we'll get to continue to listen to it until the end of time on
42 -project, as the "cabal" seems to get re-elected every year, with a
43 bit of turnover who oddly enough seem to end up becoming part of the
44 cabal. I'd swear that they were being paid off but I'd presume that
45 from your seat on the board you'd know if that were the case.
46
47 Unless... Could the Trustees be paying the Council to be the bad guys
48 while they secretly run the show? Could they be the cabal behind the
49 cabal?
50
51 Well, in any case we're clearly sticking to the bit in the social
52 contract about not hiding our problems. They're on full display for
53 anybody crazy enough to join us. At least we know the newcomers are
54 serious about the distro, because I doubt they're just here for the
55 social life... :)
58 Rich