From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 23:58:28
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> So, this has been debated before, so I won't elaborate on it
6 >> extensively, but I think it would be healthier to have these sorts of
7 >> users become developers and vote for both the Council and the
8 >> Trustees, than to have two different constituencies, because this only
9 >> increases the opportunity for conflict between these bodies.
10 >
11 > I disagree strongly and think this is unwise because many may contribute but
12 > not have time to go through the recruitment process or any interest in being
13 > part of the project. Also, it is critical that there is representation from
14 > outside of the project proper, as the Gentoo developer world can become
15 > (many will argue that is already has become) a kind of mono-culture.
16
17 Is the intent really for these non-developer Foundation members to be
18 considered "outside of the project proper?"
19
20 Are they stakeholder or aren't they? If they are, then we shouldn't
21 treat them like second class citizens. If they aren't, then we
22 shouldn't treat them as if they are. Certainly we can listen to them,
23 but they shouldn't be part of formal governance.
24
25 If the concern is that we become a "mono-culture" wouldn't it make
26 more sense to bring in the voices that would make it not be a
27 mono-culture?
28
29 How is it better to instead keep those voices outside, but then give
30 them the power to shame those who are actually actively contributing?
33 Rich