From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 19:17:54
1 On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > Ironically, being open and responsive to tinfoil-esque comments actually
8 >> > will do a great deal to dispel tinfoil-esque paranoia going forward.
9 >> >
10 >>
11 >> While that seems like a reasonable hypothesis, I fear that it isn't
12 >> well-established with data.
13 >>
14 >> In any case I support being open just to be open, and so far the
15 >> people who have been in dual-roles have chosen to recuse themselves,
16 >> so this seems mostly like a hypothetical argument.
17 >
18 > I'd prefer an option to opt out rather than a mandatory stepping down, but I
19 > am not outright opposed to it. I have no gory details of naughty things
20 > guiding my viewpoint, just trusting that if WilliamH has concerns, others
21 > probably do too.
24 To be clear, I prefer the status quo, which is that Council members
25 can recuse themselves if they want to but are under no obligation to
26 do so. I was just pointing out that since everybody is already doing
27 this who would be affected a policy change wouldn't have much
28 practical effect.
29
30 Personally I disagree with the decisions of these Council members to
31 recuse themselves, and if I were ever in that position I would not
32 recuse myself unless I had personal involvement in the case. I don't
33 see it coming up anytime soon, not least of which because I'm
34 currently on none of the affected teams.
35
36 But, one of the benefits of democracy is that we get to shoot
37 ourselves in the foot if we prefer... :)
40 Rich