From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 13:46:36
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > By the way, now with git, why don't we change from quizzes to just
4 > "submitted X high-quality PRs and got support from Z existing committers"?
7 The quizzes cover a lot of organizational information that have
8 nothing to do with writing ebuilds, like the very first one: "When is
9 it appropriate to post to the following mailing lists: gentoo-core,
10 gentoo-dev, gentoo-dev-announce, gentoo-project? Provide examples of
11 topics that are appropriate for each one of them."
12
13 Additionally the quiz covers a pretty broad variety of topics that
14 just a few pull requests might not hit. Gentoo also doesn't use CI
15 and tinderboxing/etc so it is important to make sure devs are aware
16 that they need to run repoman on all commits/etc.
17
18 The quiz interaction is also intended to help the mentor get to know
19 the applicant, and later for the recruiters to do the same. There are
20 certainly other ways of doing that, but I suspect they'd involve a
21 similar amount of back and forth since the only way to get to know
22 somebody is to interact with them.
25 Rich