From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 21:09:05
1 On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:54:35 PM EDT Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM, David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Hi William,
4 > >
5 > > given the massive inactivity of the sparc and hppa arches, I would like
6 > > to request dropping their profiles to 'dev'. I would like two votes:
7 > >
8 > > 1) Should sparc be dropped to a 'dev' profile?
9 > >
10 > > 2) Should hppa be dropped to a 'dev' profile?
11 > >
12 > > I hope this can clear a lot of the STABLEREQ and KEYWORDREQ backlog
13 > > that is making maintenance in Gentoo cumbersome.
14 >
15 > I am against moving these to dev profiles for all the reasons MichaƂ gives.
16 >
17 > For everyone's information, sparc is in its current state because
18 > bender, our sparc development system hosted at OSUOSL died in April
19 > and Infra has not fixed it for whatever reason. I have contacted
20 > Oracle about donating modern hardware to the Gentoo Foundation and
21 > they expressed interest, but nothing concrete has happened yet.
22 >
23 > Jack Morgan also decided to retire about the same time because of the
24 > apparent crusade to drop support for architectures like sparc.
27 So all we had was one system and a couple of testers on sparc? No one seems
28 to have complained others than those folks who were impacted by the lack of
29 response and time from sparc.
30
31 > As an arch tester, I can tell you that it's horribly boring and
32 > tedious work. I'd be happy to drop most keywords to ~arch (and Tobias
33 > and I have agreed to do exactly this for alpha). In my experience as a
34 > member of the MIPS team I can also tell you that fully ~arch is
35 > terrible for stage building -- you're constantly dealing with generic
36 > unstable problems and not with anything specific to the architecture
37 > or stage building. Dropping profiles to dev/exp only exacerbate this
38 > problem.
41 I don't think alpha is the problem here. Alpha is actually pretty good IIRC.
42 Why change anything on alpha?
43
44 > As such, I suggest that instead we consider dropping everything
45 > outside of the @system set (and its dependencies) to ~arch for select
46 > architectures. This will ensure that the core system remains stable
47 > and stage building goes as smoothly as possible. With the
48 > significantly reduced stabilization work load, I suspect that the arch
49 > testers can keep up with keyword requests and stabilization requests
50 > for @system packages.
51 >
52 > I don't think we need council to be involved in this case. Please have
53 > a little more patience until this can be done.
54
55 Council definitely needs to be involved. Everytime this conversation has been
56 brought up nothing changes. The only thing *sure* to change is the
57 involvement of the respective arch testers. It is an almost "strike" like
58 mentality when someone debates the relevancy of said architectures.
59
60 Letting the broader user base suffer at the behest of a few minor arch teams
61 is not useful for anyone.
62
63 -Aaron