From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 20:55:00
1 On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM, David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi William,
3 >
4 > given the massive inactivity of the sparc and hppa arches, I would like
5 > to request dropping their profiles to 'dev'. I would like two votes:
6 >
7 > 1) Should sparc be dropped to a 'dev' profile?
8 >
9 > 2) Should hppa be dropped to a 'dev' profile?
10 >
11 > I hope this can clear a lot of the STABLEREQ and KEYWORDREQ backlog
12 > that is making maintenance in Gentoo cumbersome.
13
14 I am against moving these to dev profiles for all the reasons Michał gives.
15
16 For everyone's information, sparc is in its current state because
17 bender, our sparc development system hosted at OSUOSL died in April
18 and Infra has not fixed it for whatever reason. I have contacted
19 Oracle about donating modern hardware to the Gentoo Foundation and
20 they expressed interest, but nothing concrete has happened yet.
21
22 Jack Morgan also decided to retire about the same time because of the
23 apparent crusade to drop support for architectures like sparc.
24
25 As an arch tester, I can tell you that it's horribly boring and
26 tedious work. I'd be happy to drop most keywords to ~arch (and Tobias
27 and I have agreed to do exactly this for alpha). In my experience as a
28 member of the MIPS team I can also tell you that fully ~arch is
29 terrible for stage building -- you're constantly dealing with generic
30 unstable problems and not with anything specific to the architecture
31 or stage building. Dropping profiles to dev/exp only exacerbate this
32 problem.
33
34 As such, I suggest that instead we consider dropping everything
35 outside of the @system set (and its dependencies) to ~arch for select
36 architectures. This will ensure that the core system remains stable
37 and stage building goes as smoothly as possible. With the
38 significantly reduced stabilization work load, I suspect that the arch
39 testers can keep up with keyword requests and stabilization requests
40 for @system packages.
41
42 I don't think we need council to be involved in this case. Please have
43 a little more patience until this can be done.