From: Doug Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 03:53:56
1 On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Gokturk Yuksek <gokturk@g.o> wrote:
2 > Doug Freed:
3 >> GLEP 39 currently states that "[A project] may have one or many leads"
4 >> (Specification section, first list, last item). I believe (and a few
5 >> others agree) that this language is ambiguous, Some projects have
6 >> interpreted this language to mean that a project may have no lead,
7 >> while others believe the language is to be interpreted as meaning that
8 >> projects must have at least one lead. Therefore, I request that the
9 >> Council clarify the language of GLEP 39 to remove this ambiguity. I
10 >
11 > The council has already provided a clarification[0]:
12 >
13 > """
14 > The wording of GLEP 39 was found to be unclear if not confusing (it
15 > states that a project "may have one or many leads", and that their
16 > selection "must occur at least once every 12 months").
17 >
18 > After discussion the following points were agreed upon:
19 > * The Gentoo Wiki project page template should be enhanced to show the
20 > last lead election date for each project.
21 > * The council sends an e-mail to the gentoo-project mailing list asking
22 > projects to consider electing a lead and confirming her/him regularly.
23 > """
24 >
25 > [0] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20150913-summary.txt
29 As rich0 points out, there was no vote on the subject of the language
30 clarification. In the raw log of that meeting, a few council members
31 noted the ambiguity themselves, and that it should probably be
32 resolved, but that was never done. Therefore, I'm specifically asking
33 the council to remove the ambiguity in the language and pick one clear
34 meaning. The actual actions taken in that meeting are only
35 tangentially related to that.
36
37 -Doug
38 dwfreed