From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:01:40
1 On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 9:42 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > I would vote in favor of language along these lines:
3 >
4 > "Gentoo developers may sit for a maximum of one (1) office between the
5 > Community Relations, Council, and Trustees projects. Should a developer
6 > run for and win election for more than one office, they are to choose
7 > which office they favor, with the next runner-up assuming the office not
8 > claimed. This restriction enables officers to focus solely on their area
9 > of concern and prevents manipulation or abuse of power. Each project may
10 > impose its own requirements for membership, but no developer may be
11 > allowed membership to more than one of the prior mentioned groups."
12 >
13 > It's not what I think is ideal (no Comrel at all, leaving that job to
14 > Staff), but I think it creates an environment that is more accountable
15 > and less likely to cause further problems in the future.
16
17 If there is no Comrel wouldn't that be leaving the job to Council? Surely
18 you're not suggesting that random IRC ops should have the rights to kick
19 random developers entirely from the project (IRC ops already do all the
20 things you seem to want them to do). If there were no Comrel, wouldn't
21 that be equivalent to a Comrel that had 100% overlap with Council and no
22 appeals?
23
24 Setting that aside, you also left out QA and Infra, which are the other two
25 special projects. QA has most of the powers that Comrel has that people
26 tend to get concerned with (cutting off commit access, unilaterally
27 imposing restrictions on tree policy, with the same appeal to Council as
28 Comrel, though it operates more openly). Infra effectively has a lot of
29 power though it mainly serves to execute policy more than anything else.
30
31 Note that Council members are already not allowed to be Trustees (a policy
32 I've publicly disagreed with a few times, somehow managing to not get
33 kicked out for :) ).
34
35 So, while I'm not entirely opposed in concept to what you're saying, it
36 does raise a practical issue, which is why I've tended to be reluctant to
37 embrace these suggestions when they come up. We have 7 council members and
38 trustees. Let's say that we want 5 members of QA and Comrel (those don't
39 have fixed numbers). You're now up to 24 people who have to hold mutually
40 exclusive positions. That is probably 10% or more of the truly active
41 developer population (I don't have a problem with having a long tail of
42 devs who make small positive contributions, but they're probably not going
43 to be staffing the Trustees). On the one hand spreading out the jobs in
44 theory gives people more time to devote to each. In practice it tends to
45 involve giving more roles to people who are actually less interested in
46 doing them. At points in the past we've actually struggled to fill Trustee
47 slots (I think we've gotten down to around 5-6 vacancies at points), and
48 for several of the past elections they've run unopposed.
49
50 So, by putting a restriction on how positions are filled, you potentially
51 block positions from being filled by whoever is best qualified and
52 interested in spending the time. For example, Robin has been doing
53 excellent work for the last few months trying to get the Foundations books
54 in order, but he's also on Infra, and fairly vital there from what I've
55 seen. If those slots were mutually exclusive then one team or the other
56 would be deprived of his contributions, at least in the full capacity
57 (maybe he could serve the Foundation without being a formal Trustee, but
58 let's be honest and consider that people who have official titles probably
59 do tend to give it a bit more sustained effort).
60
61 In the case of Comrel, Trustees, Infra, and Council the positions also
62 involve access to sensitive information, such as financial data, bank
63 accounts, root passwords, or disciplinary actions. The community is going
64 to want to have people who are well-trusted in these roles, and the more
65 bodies you want to put in them the harder it is to find people who are
66 well-accepted by the community.
67
68 While I wouldn't want the entire show run by 1-3 people, I don't think
69 we're at risk of some kind of coup if we only have 10 people running the
70 show and not 24.
71
72 Checks and balances sound nice in theory, but they tend to work by blocking
73 any action in the absence of agreement. Maybe when you're talking about
74 going to war or locking people up in prison that makes more sense (though,
75 honestly I think the US has some of the strongest checks and balances of
76 any government and in practice it is very dysfunctional, with branches of
77 government tending to bend the rules just to get anything done, and
78 constant stalemate). With a cooperative distro where people have the
79 freedom to fork it if it gets out of hand, I'm not convinced that all the
80 checks are helpful. Do we really want a Comrel that goes off and puts
81 developers through a ton of rigor while they fear for their commit access,
82 then kicks them out, only to have the Council immediately reverse the
83 action because they're completely unaligned? I would think that we'd want
84 a single consistent set of policies so that most appeals are just NOOPs
85 because the original group did its job. This is how QA largely operates;
86 in theory anybody can appeal any QA decision to Council, but in practice it
87 rarely happens because the two groups communicate well and QA tends to
88 generally follow the policies the elected Council is setting (and they
89 really reflect sentiment of the larger community anyway).
90
91 There is another practical matter here. One of the main ways that Council
92 members end up in roles like QA/Comrel is because of some problem in these
93 teams, such as inactivity, or understaffing. A Council member might step
94 in and act as an interim lead to try to bring new life into the body.
95 Ideally they find somebody to replace them and then leave, but that doesn't
96 always happen. At the very least doing this requires temporary
97 dual-membership, and sometimes it has to be sustained until somebody
98 actually steps up.
99
100 I'm not saying I'm strongly opposed to your suggestion. I just want to
101 point out that it has its downsides and I'm not convinced that it would
102 improve things as a result.
105 Rich