From: Seemant Kulleen <seemantk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 04:58:27
1 Happy New Year Doug (et al ;) ),
2
3 I wanted to share an observation:
4
5 "It must have at least one lead, and may have many leads. The leads
6 > are selected by the members of the project. This selection must occur
7 > at least once every 12 months, and may occur at any time.
10 If a project has n members, and by vote or policy or whatever, the team may
11 decides
12 that all n members are leads. In that case, I opine that the project has
13 no leads.
16 > OR (if the Council wishes to allow no lead as an option)
17 >
18 > "It may have no lead, one lead, or many leads, and the leads are
19 > selected by the members of the project. This selection must occur at
20 > least once every 12 months, and may occur at any time."
23 6 up there, half a dozen here, and a pair of 3's already in the current
24 language.
25
26 Seems like a hard to avoid situation. I guess my question is: are the
27 lead-less teams
28 experiencing particular challenges?
29
30 Cheers,
31 Seemant
37 > (The slight change in wording in otherwise unaffected parts is to
38 > avoid repetitive use of "and" in one sentence.) The reason for the
39 > ambiguity in the first place is that the English language allows you
40 > to apply the "may" to the collective "one or many leads," which would
41 > make any lead optional. Others consider it to just be a choice
42 > between "one lead" and "many leads," which is also a valid
43 > interpretation.
44 >
45 > I believe that the original intention was that every project would
46 > have a lead (indeed, in GLEP 4, which GLEP 39 replaced, every project
47 > had a manager, which is the equivalent), but I don't speak for the
48 > authors of GLEP 39. It is my personal opinion that every project
49 > should have a lead. The lead serves to resolve disputes among project
50 > members, coordinate project effort, and be the point of contact
51 > between the project and the rest of Gentoo, all on an as-needed basis.
52 >
53 > -Doug
54 > dwfreed
58 Cheers,
59 Seemant
60
61 *--*
62 *Oakland Finish Up Weekend*
63 Be Amazed. Be Amazing.
64 Get Mentored | Get Inspired | *Finish* *Up*
65 http://oaklandfinishup.com