From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:31:44
1 On 08/04/2016 06:24 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > I feel that our stable tree is so far behind on all
3 > architectures that we are doing our stable users a disservice, so I
4 > would like to open up a discussion here, and maybe some policy changes
5 > at the next meeting.
6
7 Far behind isn't necessarily a problem as long as it doesn't have bugs,
8 in particular security related ones. Updating too often (without a good
9 reason) can also be annoying enough.
12 > Ultimately, I think we need some form of automated stabilization, e.g.
13 > if a package version sits in ~ for 30 days and there are no blockers at
14 > that point, the new version should go automatically to stable on all
15 > architectures where there is a previous stable version.
16
17 I LOUDLY disagree. The stable tree should not be compromised by such
18 automation, it is already bad enough without proper use-testing in some
19 cases. Stable isn't only about building properly.
22 Kristian Fiskerstrand
23 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
24 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3