From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:42:33
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2019-06-14 19:57, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > Meeting time changes without announcement
5 > =========================================
6 > This year we had a pretty unique situation. Possibly for the first time
7 > in history of Gentoo, a Council member who couldn't attend the meeting
8 > requested changing meeting time rather than appointing a proxy.
9 >
10 > What I perceive to be a problem is that Council unilaterally changed
11 > the meeting time without being concerned about other attendees. They
12 > not only failed to ask people submitting the items but also failed to
13 > inform them properly.
14 >
15 > The only way to know about the changed time was to notice it
16 > on the agenda [7]. There wasn't even a single 'please note that
17 > the meeting will be held 2 hours later than usual'.
18
19 As council member who was chairing the meeting in question, this false
20 accusation makes me angry. Let me add some facts:
21
22 - On 2019-04-25, a council member asked other council members to move
23 upcoming meeting on 12th of may by an hour or two in advance.
24
25 - All council member agreed to change time to 21:00 UTC for this meeting.
26
27 - Topic in IRC was set accordingly.
28
29 - When meeting agenda was published, the changed meeting time was
30 communicated.
31
32 - Yes, I did *not* add a special paragraph like
33
34 > +++ IMPORTANT +++
35 > +++ IMPORTANT +++
36 > +++ IMPORTANT +++
37 > +++ PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO CHANGED MEETING TIME +++
38 > +++ IMPORTANT +++
39 > +++ IMPORTANT +++
40 > +++ IMPORTANT +++
41
42 - In addition, people *required* for meeting according to agenda
43 received an additional invitation with all details (antarus should be
44 able to confirm).
45
46 So really, saying "meeting time changes without announcement" is wrong,
47 misleading and discrediting current council. Sure, in retrospective I am
48 sorry for not adding a special paragraph. But on the other hand: When
49 you don't read announcement mail in first place, why should you notice
50 the special paragraph?! You either read mail or you don't...
53 > Secret meetings, secret decisions
54 > =================================
55 > This year's Council has been engaged in accepting secret agenda item
56 > concerning commit access of a pseudonymous dev, holding secret meetings,
57 > over it and making secret decisions that were never announced.
58 > At the same time, they managed to blame Undertakers for not knowing
59 > about any of that.
60 >
61 > To cite a Bugzilla comment on the topic:
62 >
63 > | You are aware that we have a special situation here? Most of
64 > | the inactivity period falls between the acceptance of GLEP 76
65 > | (in September/October 2018) and the Council sorting out a way for him
66 > | how to proceed (in April 2019). [...] [11]
67 >
68 > Are you aware of those April 2019 proceedings? Because there's no trace
69 > of any decision in meeting logs.
70
71 This is another false accusation.
72
73 Like you can read in *public* meeting log, NP-Hardass asked council
74 member for a private talk:
75
76 > 16:01 <+NP-Hardass> Yeah, I'd like to meet privately with the council
77 > after open floor to discuss my commit privileges
80 Really, aren't council member allowed to talk with others privately?
81 Like you can see I made it very clear that we will not decide anything:
82
83 > 16:02 <@Whissi> Sure we can talk privately but any decision must be public.
84
85 And exactly that's what happened: We talked about a *private* topic and
86 nothing was decided.
87
88 So please stop your false accusation, misleading statements and
89 discrediting current council.
92 > Abusing Council position to change own team's policy
93 > ====================================================
94 > How would you feel about a person that's both in QA and Council using
95 > his Council position to change a policy that's been proposed with QA
96 > lead's blessing?
97 >
98 > [...]
99
100 This is an interesting topic. If I would be part of QA project and I
101 would be the person you are talking about, I would contradict you
102 energetically. Because I am not I just want to add the following note to
103 the remarkable council meeting you quoted:
104
105 If you read raw meeting log you could come to the conclusion that you
106 (mgorny) were threatening ulm or that ulm wasn't at least free anymore
107 in his decision:
108
109 > 21:42:29]<mgorny> Whissi: are you going to call another vote with 14d,
110 > so i could be angry with ulm for wasting time over
111 > one day?
112
113 This isn't just my view, more than 2 other developers shared their
114 concerns with me after they read posted raw meeting log.
115
116 Sure, you were pushing for that change and seeing it already failing two
117 times can be frustrating if you really believe that this is an important
118 change which is good for Gentoo (while I still disagree with the motion,
119 I can understand that this can be a frustrating experience). However you
120 cannot say that you heard for the first time that people have problems
121 with the proposed ban period
122 (https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/ba028e0ca53f6f55cf04f52645b52cee).
123
124 Like I acknowledged after meeting, as meeting chair, I did a very poor
125 job: I wasn't prepared to reprimand dilfridge (because I didn't know
126 about the rule that only meeting chair should ban) and I did not have
127 the courage to end this unworthy spectacle.
130 (https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/d1433dbe7fcbe81305e7b0b0007441ee)
131 who criticized the decision I just want to add that the decision was
132 very close and far from unanimous: If either QA member would have
133 abstained from vote due to possible conflict of interest or didn't
134 change from NO to ABSTAIN to demonstrate protest, the last motion would
135 have failed like the others before...
138 PS: In your mail you wrote later,
139
140 > The way I see it, proposals should be discussed on mailing lists,
141 > and Council approval should be merely a formality based on earlier
142 > discussion.
143
144 I agree with that. Discussion should happen before, council should only
145 ack/nack. It must be surprising for all Gentoo developer to see a
146 proposal about 30d and you stop discussing at some point because you
147 assume everything is said and it will get rejected that way just to
148 learn later that it passed because motion was changed during meeting and
149 you hadn't any chance to speak up. I hope nobody is surprised that
150 everything has at least two views...
154 Regards,
155 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
156 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5