From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 05:33:06
1 On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 23:42 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > [...]
3 >
4 > - In addition, people *required* for meeting according to agenda
5 > received an additional invitation with all details (antarus should be
6 > able to confirm).
7
8 It's interesting how you define 'required'. Because I see myself
9 explicitly mentioned *twice* in the agenda [1], and I certainly did not
10 receive any additional invitation. Does this mean that agenda items are
11 not considered important by the Council?
12
13 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/f13a423c093fef063d3d738154faa99c
16 > So really, saying "meeting time changes without announcement" is wrong,
17 > misleading and discrediting current council. Sure, in retrospective I am
18 > sorry for not adding a special paragraph. But on the other hand: When
19 > you don't read announcement mail in first place, why should you notice
20 > the special paragraph?! You either read mail or you don't...
21
22 And on what grounds do you accuse me of not reading it? Is this really
23 an appropriate way for a Council member to treat your fellow voters?
24
25 Just because I don't notice a tiny change on the otherwise boilerplate
26 first line of the announcement? This is especially likely to be
27 confused to us in CEST timezone as 19:00Z is 21:00 to us.
28
29 If that's what you want to hear then yes, it's my fault for not being
30 more careful and being too trusting to people I voted for. I won't make
31 that mistake twice. I mean the latter mistake.
35 > > Secret meetings, secret decisions
36 > > =================================
37 > > This year's Council has been engaged in accepting secret agenda item
38 > > concerning commit access of a pseudonymous dev, holding secret meetings,
39 > > over it and making secret decisions that were never announced.
40 > > At the same time, they managed to blame Undertakers for not knowing
41 > > about any of that.
42 > >
43 > > To cite a Bugzilla comment on the topic:
44 > >
45 > > > You are aware that we have a special situation here? Most of
46 > > > the inactivity period falls between the acceptance of GLEP 76
47 > > > (in September/October 2018) and the Council sorting out a way for him
48 > > > how to proceed (in April 2019). [...] [11]
49 > >
50 > > Are you aware of those April 2019 proceedings? Because there's no trace
51 > > of any decision in meeting logs.
52 >
53 > This is another false accusation.
54 >
55 > Like you can read in *public* meeting log, NP-Hardass asked council
56 > member for a private talk:
57 >
58 > > 16:01 <+NP-Hardass> Yeah, I'd like to meet privately with the council
59 > > after open floor to discuss my commit privileges
60 >
61 > Really, aren't council member allowed to talk with others privately?
62 > Like you can see I made it very clear that we will not decide anything:
63 >
64 > > 16:02 <@Whissi> Sure we can talk privately but any decision must be public.
65 >
66 > And exactly that's what happened: We talked about a *private* topic and
67 > nothing was decided.
68 >
69 > So please stop your false accusation, misleading statements and
70 > discrediting current council.
71
72 If nothing was decided, then why did he suddenly become able to commit?
73 Again, as I said in the other reply, if you cause something to happen
74 it's a change, even if you don't formally decide it. Especially when
75 you afterwards publicly admit that he wasn't able to commit before this
76 secret meeting.
77
78 > > Abusing Council position to change own team's policy
79 > > ====================================================
80 > > How would you feel about a person that's both in QA and Council using
81 > > his Council position to change a policy that's been proposed with QA
82 > > lead's blessing?
83 > >
84 > > [...]
85 >
86 > This is an interesting topic. If I would be part of QA project and I
87 > would be the person you are talking about, I would contradict you
88 > energetically. Because I am not I just want to add the following note to
89 > the remarkable council meeting you quoted:
90 >
91 > If you read raw meeting log you could come to the conclusion that you
92 > (mgorny) were threatening ulm or that ulm wasn't at least free anymore
93 > in his decision:
94 >
95 > > 21:42:29]<mgorny> Whissi: are you going to call another vote with 14d,
96 > > so i could be angry with ulm for wasting time over
97 > > one day?
98 >
99 > This isn't just my view, more than 2 other developers shared their
100 > concerns with me after they read posted raw meeting log.
101
102 That is pure nonsense. If you focus on what I was saying earlier (or
103 later), you'd clearly understand that I was frustrated because
104 *the meeting was very late*, *I was losing precious sleep* (but I guess
105 sleep deprivation is nothing compared to the importance of Council
106 members making their decisions) and *silly difference of 1 day was
107 causing me to lose another 10 minutes of sleep*.
110 > (https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/d1433dbe7fcbe81305e7b0b0007441ee)
111 > who criticized the decision I just want to add that the decision was
112 > very close and far from unanimous: If either QA member would have
113 > abstained from vote due to possible conflict of interest or didn't
114 > change from NO to ABSTAIN to demonstrate protest, the last motion would
115 > have failed like the others before...
116
117 And what does that exactly demonstrate? How unprofessional Council was
118 in making this decision?
122 Best regards,
123 Michał Górny