From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:41:33
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2019-06-17 07:32, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 23:42 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
5 >> [...]
6 >>
7 >> - In addition, people *required* for meeting according to agenda
8 >> received an additional invitation with all details (antarus should be
9 >> able to confirm).
10 >
11 > It's interesting how you define 'required'. Because I see myself
12 > explicitly mentioned *twice* in the agenda [1], and I certainly did not
13 > receive any additional invitation. Does this mean that agenda items are
14 > not considered important by the Council?
15 >
16 > [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/f13a423c093fef063d3d738154faa99c
17
18 No, it isn't. It's already exactly the way you want it to be (and I had
19 to learn it during my first council meeting the hard way, too; See
20 https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20180729.txt):
21
22 In general, we already have the mantra, "No discussion during meeting"
23 (for topics from mailing list).
24
25 So regarding agenda items you added (topic 3 & 5):
26
27 These topics were already discussed on mailing list so they should NOT
28 require discussion during meeting. Therefore you did NOT receive an
29 additional invitation like antarus received for topic 4 where I asked
30 him to participate to report status.
33 >> So really, saying "meeting time changes without announcement" is wrong,
34 >> misleading and discrediting current council. Sure, in retrospective I am
35 >> sorry for not adding a special paragraph. But on the other hand: When
36 >> you don't read announcement mail in first place, why should you notice
37 >> the special paragraph?! You either read mail or you don't...
38 >
39 > And on what grounds do you accuse me of not reading it? Is this really
40 > an appropriate way for a Council member to treat your fellow voters?
41 >
42 > Just because I don't notice a tiny change on the otherwise boilerplate
43 > first line of the announcement? This is especially likely to be
44 > confused to us in CEST timezone as 19:00Z is 21:00 to us.
45 >
46 > If that's what you want to hear then yes, it's my fault for not being
47 > more careful and being too trusting to people I voted for. I won't make
48 > that mistake twice. I mean the latter mistake.
49
50 Erm, you are the one who blamed current running council for *NOT*
51 announcing changed meeting time. Something which I take *very serious*
52 because if that would be true, we would have violated important
53 principles like
54
55 > The Council members are elected for a year and must hold monthly public meetings.
56
57 So when you bring that up, I have to assume that you are the one who
58 didn't read the announcement mail and therefore accuse us for not
59 announcing the meeting time in advance making it impossible for anyone
60 interested to attend which would be equal to a non-public meeting which
61 would be a serious violation of Gentoo's principles.
62
63 I always wrote "21:00 UTC" so I am sorry, I don't understand what you
64 are trying to say with the "CEST timezone" paragraph at the moment.
67 > If that's what you want to hear then yes, it's my fault for not being
68 > more careful and being too trusting to people I voted for. I won't make
69 > that mistake twice. I mean the latter mistake.
70
71 Like written above, I am taking this reproach seriously, also personally
72 because I was meeting chair and therefore responsible for announcement.
73
74 I hope I have the courage to take consequences if I am wrong and would
75 have violated such an important principle but when I have NOT and people
76 start thinking it is inappropriate to defend yourself against false
77 claims I have nothing more to say.
78
79 So yes, if that's your view and that's all you got from my response, be
80 careful and don't do 'mistakes' twice!
83 >>> Secret meetings, secret decisions
84 >>> =================================
85 >>> This year's Council has been engaged in accepting secret agenda item
86 >>> concerning commit access of a pseudonymous dev, holding secret meetings,
87 >>> over it and making secret decisions that were never announced.
88 >>> At the same time, they managed to blame Undertakers for not knowing
89 >>> about any of that.
90 >>>
91 >>> To cite a Bugzilla comment on the topic:
92 >>>
93 >>>> You are aware that we have a special situation here? Most of
94 >>>> the inactivity period falls between the acceptance of GLEP 76
95 >>>> (in September/October 2018) and the Council sorting out a way for him
96 >>>> how to proceed (in April 2019). [...] [11]
97 >>>
98 >>> Are you aware of those April 2019 proceedings? Because there's no trace
99 >>> of any decision in meeting logs.
100 >>
101 >> This is another false accusation.
102 >>
103 >> Like you can read in *public* meeting log, NP-Hardass asked council
104 >> member for a private talk:
105 >>
106 >>> 16:01 <+NP-Hardass> Yeah, I'd like to meet privately with the council
107 >>> after open floor to discuss my commit privileges
108 >>
109 >> Really, aren't council member allowed to talk with others privately?
110 >> Like you can see I made it very clear that we will not decide anything:
111 >>
112 >>> 16:02 <@Whissi> Sure we can talk privately but any decision must be public.
113 >>
114 >> And exactly that's what happened: We talked about a *private* topic and
115 >> nothing was decided.
116 >>
117 >> So please stop your false accusation, misleading statements and
118 >> discrediting current council.
119 >
120 > If nothing was decided, then why did he suddenly become able to commit?
121 > Again, as I said in the other reply, if you cause something to happen
122 > it's a change, even if you don't formally decide it. Especially when
123 > you afterwards publicly admit that he wasn't able to commit before this
124 > secret meeting.
125
126 Really? Are you still on your crusade against NP-hardass? I really hoped
127 you get the closing statement from
128 (https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20190512-summary.txt
129 6a), something which happened for the first time in council history.
130
131 > If nothing was decided, then why did he suddenly become able to commit?
132
133 Where do you see commits from him?
134
135 If there is a commit from him (=where he is set as committer and have
136 signed the push) *after* GLEP 76 was enforced I assume that he did so in
137 compliance with GLEP 76 like any other Gentoo developer.
140 Regarding your bugzilla quote:
141 You, as part of undertaker project, started retirement of NP-hardass
142 which can be seen in bug history. You, as part of undertaker project
143 ignored any input from NP-hardass because it didn't match secret
144 (https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Project:Undertakers&curid=116572&diff=801701&oldid=801431
145 + more edits) undertaker policy.
146
147 During council meeting from 2019-05-12, we, the current running council,
148 tried to make it very clear that we are really concerned about
149 undertaker project's attitude expressed in pre-meeting talk in
150 #gentoo-council on 2019-05-08, 2019-05-09 and during meeting. And it
151 looks like you still haven't understand our point:
152
153 You are lacking humanity.
154
155 With the quoted text, ulm tried to make you aware of the special
156 situation: You, as undertaker project, are saying "Sorry NP-hardass,
157 according to _my data_, you are no longer active, therefore I am going
158 to retire you as part of my job as undertaker". With some kind of
159 empathy you should have recognized that NP-hardass was unable to show up
160 in your logs due to GLEP 76.
161
162 If you understand the paragraph as if the Council had created a special
163 regulation for NP-hardass, then there is a misunderstanding, something
164 like that did *not* happen.
168 Regards,
169 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
170 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5