From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 23:07:15
1 On 05/11/2017 12:17 AM, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > On Sat, Apr 29, 2017, at 12:00 CDT, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Hi everyone,
7 >>
8 >> The Gentoo Council will be meeting in two weeks. If anyone has any
9 >> issues we need to discuss, please let me know and I'll put it on the
10 >> agenda. Thanks.
11 >
12 > I would like to make a last minute proposal.
13 >
14 > Proposal:
15 >
16 > I ask the council to establish a procedure / team to moderate the
17 > gentoo-project@ and gentoo-dev@ mailing lists:
18 >
19 > - In general the amount of moderation shall as minimal as possible
20 > (in particular developers and long-time contributors
21 > unconditionally green-lighted),
22 > - but for non-developers abusing the mailing lists for their own
23 > agenda their contributions shall be moderated.
24 > - Similar to irc operators there shall be a decicated moderator team
25 > to ensure a quick and timely response.
26 > - The moderator team shall be different from council members, and
27 > ideally also comrel, such that these groups can act as a check and
28 > balance.
29 >
30 > Rationale:
31 >
32 > The gentoo-dev@ and gentoo-project@ mailing lists nowadays serve
33 > an important role for Gentoo development (e.g. mandatory announcement,
34 > RFCs, PATCH reviews). This function is currently severly impeded due
35 > to the high level of noise and unrelated personal agenda [1].
36 >
37 > Best,
38 > Matthias
39 >
40 > [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/
43 This proposal, while well-intentioned, will only have an effect of
44 chilling conversation. If that's the desired outcome, then that's fine
45 (and we'll get to keep the pieces of what's left), but if the leadership
46 of Gentoo cares about non-developers, we shouldn't be cutting them off
47 from one of the more open fora we operate.
48
49 At the core, whoever's moderating this will either be following the CoC
50 (defined and enforced by comrel), or following direct council decisions
51 like calling for the ban of a person on the ML. So despite attempts for
52 a separate balance of power, it still has to filter through comrel and
53 the council or any decision will be vetoed.
54
55 I think there are a handful of Gentoo developers that would greatly
56 enjoy this, but they're only focusing on the bad parts of interfacing
57 with the public. We also need to consider how this will make us look to
58 other communities and projects. Do we want to be among distros that
59 moderate and expel dissenting opinions? Do we want to project an image
60 that "Gentoo doesn't care or listen to outsiders"?
61
62 I'd be open to a trial -- try it out for a few months and see what
63 happens. I have a feeling I'll be right and activity will plummet, but
64 the only way to know for sure is to try it. Then nobody can argue over
65 it because we'll have facts to work with.
66
67 Just my 2ยข.
68 --
69 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
70 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
71 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6