From: NP-Hardass <np.hardass@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 06:55:26
1 hasufell <hasufell <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Ciaran McCreesh:
5 > > On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0500
6 > > Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
7 > >> I'll start with the silliest:
8 > >>
9 > >> Explain briefly the purpose of the following tools: grep, cut, sed,
10 > >> cat, wc, awk
11 > >
12 > > This is in no way silly when viewed in its proper historical context. It
13 > > was added because before the quiz existed, someone recruited a couple of
14 > > developers for Gentoo/Alt who didn't know what grep was, and they broke
15 > > the tree in a horrific way.
18 > That just shows that our workflow is so broken that we have to ask such
19 > things in a quiz.
20 >
21 > "Let's track him for one month and revert any major breakage quickly" is
22 > our answer to what the rest of the world does: review.
27 Hello.
28
29 I just wanted to bring up a quick point which hasn't been made yet. At
30 several points, there has been discussion of removing certain questions,
31 like the aforementioned "Explain briefly the purpose of the following
32 tools."
33
34 Rather than removing such questions, and working off of a previously
35 mentioned web interface for the quizzes, I thought it worth mentioning that
36 an interactive test module, akin to Computer Based Testing (CBT). The idea
37 is simple: there are two kinds of questions, those that are are text based,
38 like policy and documentation questions, and those that are task oriented,
39 like the above mentioned UNIX tools, or ebuild editing.
40
41 Since we are all familiar with the first kind of questions, let me just
42 describe what I envision for testing the second kind of question. For
43 example, with the UNIX tools, the quiz taker is presented, via a web
44 interface, some input, and the desired output. Then they are told that
45 using cmd foo (substitute whatever UNIX tool) they are expected to achieve
46 the desired output. This could be implemented any number of ways, so I
47 won't bother going into that now. Ebuild editing could follow a similar
48 process, whereby syntax is edited by the user and the output checked, via
49 repoman, or via some other method (depending on the scope of the problem).
50
51 This new system could be offered as an alternative to the current system,
52 however, based on my perception of the consensus in this thread (that the
53 current quiz is inadequate), my opinion is that, once functional, the new
54 quiz format should be the only method offered.
55
56 So, in summary, my suggestion is to consider transforming the quiz process
57 into two separate sections, the first is a standard text based test like the
58 current system, and the second is an (semi-)interactive system where the
59 user has to problem solve, giving a more practical approach to quiz
60 questions.