From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:46:38
1 On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 18:58:26 +0100 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > With increasing focus on security in various contexts I'd like to
3 > propose that we start discussing catching up with other distributions
4 > and start requiring new developers' OpenPGP keyblocks to have at least
5 > two signatures from existing developers before applications can be
6 > made[A]. Amongst other things This helps building the Gentoo Web of Trust.
9 > E.g [Debian] has the following requirement: "To maintain the strong Web
10 > of Trust that connects all Debian Developers, Applicants need to
11 > identify themselves by providing an OpenPGP key that is signed by at
12 > least two official Developers. To further ensure their identity,
13 > signatures by other people (who do not need to be DDs, but should be
14 > well connected in the overall Web of Trust) are strongly recommended."
17 > References:
18 >
19 > [Debian] https://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-checklist
22 > Endnotes:
23 >
24 > [A] Possibly with an opt-out by application to council, in case there
25 > are certain regions where this is considered non-feasable etc.
28 This will be next to impossible for many candidates. What about
29 people who don't have Gentoo devs nearby? They have to flight
30 (probably to some event) to meet them. What if this is too
31 expensive for them, or they can't leave their country due to
32 various reasons, or they just don't have time slot to visit
33 particular event?
34
35 Frankly, with such requirement I could not have become developer
36 myself back then in 2014.
37
38 And what about anonymous developers? We do have them and in modern
39 world people may have good reasons to stay anonymous. Just reminds
40 me about US braindead law allowing company to own all code written
41 by dev, while he/she is employed, even when that code was written
42 using during off-duty hours or vacation days.
43
44 Best regards,
45 Andrew Savchenko