From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 17:21:19
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 > Reality is that there will be no winner if we start fighting against
5 > each other, like trustees trying to override council, or vice versa.
8 I appreciate you saying that, because that is my point. We can casually
9 toss around the idea of forking, having some epic battle for the future of
10 Gentoo, etc, but ultimately if people just respected one another and
11 supported one another in doing their jobs, and cooperated, and were
12 friendly, and apologized when they made an occasional slip into bad
13 behavior, things would be a lot better.
14
15 My point I am trying to make is: support the trustees, because that is the
16 organizational structure that exists. Work with them. Engage with them.
17 Help them out. They do have power, even if they choose not to exercise it.
18
19 As I try to encourage friendliness in Gentoo, I want to start at the "top",
20 which is the Trustees. Be nice to them. You have every reason to. They are
21 in fact quite tolerant of many things and it is a thankless job. And for
22 those who choose to be mean to them, realize that they technically have the
23 ability to whoop your butt, but choose not to exercise it. So maybe be
24 thankful for that. And then of course, trustees, be nice to everyone else
25 too. You are examples of the project.
26
27 That, above, is really why I am making such a fuss about the trustees and
28 their authority. One way to gain respect for someone is to respect their
29 'position' and their authority if they were to choose to exercise it. So I
30 hope everyone has a new respect and understanding of trustees, and in the
31 future, be nice to them. The bashing of trustees should stop, as it will
32 only make them frustrated and more liable to be grumpy with you. You are
33 all on the same team. And I am speaking as one who has bitterly complained
34 about trustees in the past. I am trying to support the structure that
35 exists and model the behavior I am encouraging in others.
36
37 -Daniel