From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Triumvirate in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 19:47:41
1 On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 15:01 -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 09:15:37AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hello, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > Gentoo is technically led by two bodies -- the Council and the Trustees.
6 > > While this somewhat works for many years, people have repeatedly pointed
7 > > out that it's far from perfect and that it is preventing Gentoo from
8 > > gaining more popularity. Some of them are looking into the times of
9 > > BDFL with longing, others are considering it the worst thing ever.
10 > > Nevertheless, there are problems with the current state of things.
13 > I do not recall any discussions on how the current model is impacting
14 > popularity of the distro. I am not asking for evidence, but if this is
15 > purely based around previous "power struggles" then I would agree.
16 >
17 > > Firstly, we have two leading bodies and still no clear distinction
18 > > between their roles. Some developers agree on split being here, some
19 > > developers put it elsewhere but in the end, nothing has been really
20 > > decided. From time to time one of the bodies tries to push their border
21 > > forward, then backs down and we're back where we started.
24 > There have been struggles that I recall in the past with the foundation
25 > attempting to over step it's bounds. As others have mentioned, this is
26 > inevitable regardless of structure barring any BDFL like scenarios.
27 >
28 > I have postulated that the current structure works and there are avenues
29 > to codify distinct roles in the "two bodies." This can be done in the
30 > by-laws.
31
32 The problem with the bylaws is that the Trustees control them,
33 and aren't interested in doing anything that would actively limit their
34 claimed power. I mean, they've even rejected clarifying the 'Trustees
35 can kick Foundation members at their leisure' rule.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny