From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 18:03:48
1 On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 22:28:16 +0100
3 > Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 >> - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
5 >
6 > I'm not sure what you meant here, but if that meant 'make it a no-op on
7 > systems where it makes sense', then fine by me. Otherwise, please keep
8 > in mind that removing it will also affect g/fbsd where this is still
9 > needed in order to have a sane / and /usr separation.
10
11 I haven't really seen any discussion of this so I'll chime in.
12
13 Up until now most of the discussion has been about ALLOWING
14 maintainers to stick boot-required files in /usr at some point in the
15 future. Changing things like gen_usr_ldscript would actually
16 represent an active push towards moving these files into /usr. I
17 think that is a big distinction, and it would cause our Linux vs BSD
18 approaches to diverge unless we forced BSD to follow along.
19
20 I think there is a difference between allowing a few Linux-only
21 packages to move to /usr to follow upstream and moving towards a full
22 scale /usr migration on Linux for all packages, even if their
23 upstreams don't use /usr.
24
25 I think the more conservative approach is to take things one step at a
26 time - after some period of time allow things to move to /usr, but
27 leave it up to maintainer discretion, since they're the ones getting
28 bugs from linux, BSD, etc.
29
30 Rich