From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 22:13:45
1 On 3/31/2018 6:01 PM, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org
3 > <mailto:drobbins@××××××.org>> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o
6 > <mailto:rich0@g.o>> wrote:
7 >
8 > You act as if Gentoo is doing something egregious here.  In
9 > fact, I'm
10 > not aware of any organization that operates in the manner you
11 > suggest.
12 > If you were aware of one you'd be citing it instead of arguing
13 > in the
14 > abstract.
17 > Please pardon my language, but I think your comment merits this kind
18 > of response -- are you fucking kidding me? So you are unaware of any
19 > organization that produces software which solicits feedback from the
20 > people who actually use the software? EVERY organization does this.
21 > Find me one that doesn't. The burden of proof is on you.
24 > Also, Rich, I think it's unfortunate that you don't see the benefit of
25 > having input from users in regards to software development. We clearly
26 > disagree on this topic, so I don't see the point of continuing
27 > discussion with you on this list.
28 >
29 > Best,
30 >
31 > Daniel
32
33 You've completely misrepresented Rich's position here. He was saying
34 that he isn't aware of software organizations which give their users a
35 direct and formal part of the decision-making process (that is, a vote),
36 and you turned that around and accused him of saying that software
37 organizations don't solicit user feedback. Those are two completely
38 separate things -- user feedback drives software development, certainly,
39 but that's not the same as giving users a direct vote on the development
40 process. Users can submit all the feedback they want, and it's obviously
41 beneficial to listen to them, but in the end, it's the
42 company(/organization/whatever) that decides what to work on.
43
44 -creffett